Paranormal Activity

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
adamposey

Paranormal Activity

Post by adamposey »

Title says it all. Have you seen this film? If so, what did you think? I was absolutely terrified.
Annapurna

Re: Paranormal Activity

Post by Annapurna »

Adam, I laughed myself all the way through Blair witch project, much to the frustration of a friend who wanted to watch it with me.

Horror movies...I always say : if they scare ya, don't watch them.

No matter what your friends say. Luckily, I don't have to watch any anymore.

:zzz:
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

adamposey wrote:Title says it all. Have you seen this film? If so, what did you think? I was absolutely terrified.
Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
notself

Post by notself »

pink_trike wrote:Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?
Horror movies are aimed a teenagers and reflect the tension and stress of coming of age. They are fun and encourage hugging. :tongue:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

pink_trike wrote: Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?
I think it can be quite strong. I tend to automatically notice what my mind state is like when I'm watching a movie or a TV program, and I can see it get rather stirred up if things get violent...

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:
pink_trike wrote: Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?
I think it can be quite strong. I tend to automatically notice what my mind state is like when I'm watching a movie or a TV program, and I can see it get rather stirred up if things get violent...

Mike
I'm glad I'm not the only Dhamma-nerd!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

pink_trike wrote:
adamposey wrote:Title says it all. Have you seen this film? If so, what did you think? I was absolutely terrified.
Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?
Well, I really wasn't hoping to relate it back to the dhamma in anyway it just seemed like a fun thing to talk about in the lounge. :)

In any case, the movie makes you afraid for the characters, more than anything else.. so it could be worse.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Beware of the Dhamma-Zombies. They may even be in the lounge... :jawdrop:
Attachments
ZombieWalk_468x604.jpg
ZombieWalk_468x604.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Pink
pink_trike wrote:Beware of the Dhamma-Zombies. They may even be in the lounge... :jawdrop:
Hmm....
I have noticed though I was being polite by not saying anything.
Anyway, I;m not particularly worried about the Dhamma-zombies in the lounge.
I'm used to facing my own demons. Soon I go to commune with them once again on a ten-day silent retreat of vipassana.
It's not for the faint of heart.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

I used to love horror films, but for some unknown reasons I don't enjoy them anymore.. :shrug:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Dugu wrote:I used to love horror films
I have always found them terribly dull and I never 'got' them. I suppose it's because to feel scared by something you have to subconsciously believe it's real... and I've always struggled with accepting this existance as real, not to mention a 2D world of even poorer acting and thinner plots.

Now sci-fi, that's my 'bag' (and I don't know why but it's awesome)
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
I have always found them terribly dull and I never 'got' them. I suppose it's because to feel scared by something you have to subconsciously believe it's real... and I've always struggled with accepting this existance as real, not to mention a 2D world of even poorer acting and thinner plots.

I am not surprised you like sci-fi :lol: My cup of tea is actually fantasy - set in ancient times with a sword wielding hero. :D I am also fond of hit-man movies (yea terrible me).
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I saw The Ring when I was 16 or so and it scared the pants off me for weeks. I would unplug the TV at night just to be sure.

Horror films = Lot's of Dukkha (for me anyway)
The word 'horror' says it all doesn't it?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Who needs horror or tragedy films? CNN.com isn't enough to break the heart and chill the bones?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Mawkish1983 wrote:

Exactly.