Back Support

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Back Support

Post by Collective »

I've just realised that I can only reach really deep levels of concentration when I do not support my back during meditation. If I prop aganst something ot doesn't happen for me

Why is this?
catmoon

Re: Back Support

Post by catmoon »

Collective wrote:I've just realised that I can only reach really deep levels of concentration when I do not support my back during meditation. If I prop aganst something ot doesn't happen for me

Why is this?
I'll take a crack at it.

An unsupported back requires constant adjustments, several a second, to maintain an upright posture. This ongoing activity in the nervous system requires a degree of stimulation and alertness, which in turn benefit meditation by combatting sleepiness. Sitting unsupported puts a hard limit on how sleepy you can get. If you pass the limit you fall over. It's self-correcting.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Cat,

That would be my understanding. You have to maintain a certain level of mindfulness and energy to keep upright. Same applies to standing or walking.

Mike
Collective

Post by Collective »

Agreed, alertness is very important, and keeping an upright posture has that right amount of effort needed
Guy

Post by Guy »

If lying down was the best posture I am sure I would be enlightened by now.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm