Whaddya think?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
pink_trike

Whaddya think?

Post by pink_trike »

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... /sensecam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are wearable cams going to aid society or mess it up more? Encourage people to behave better? Or contribute to the blurring of lines between everyday reality and visual entertainment? We'll all see ourselves more clearly or we'll all move permanently "on stage"? All of the above?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Whaddya think?

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Looks pretty nightmarish to me. I'm sure I'll be using one by next spring. ;)
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Ben

Post by Ben »

We are being assimilated into the Borg.
Resistence is futile.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Ben wrote:We are being assimilated into the Borg.
Resistence is futile.
But we have the power to transform lead into gold. Shhh :spy:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Ben wrote:We are being assimilated into the Borg.
Resistence is futile.
:smile: :bow:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
Guy

Post by Guy »

:spy: :computerproblem: Stop the world I want to get off... :toilet:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

pink_trike wrote:http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... /sensecam/

Are wearable cams going to aid society or mess it up more? Encourage people to behave better? Or contribute to the blurring of lines between everyday reality and visual entertainment? We'll all see ourselves more clearly or we'll all move permanently "on stage"? All of the above?
I generally think this interconnectedness has harmed more than helped because of our lack of social restraint, which is encouraged by devices and technologies like this. Much the same way as I figure the internet, and other social technologies have helped to destroy the family as a unit by helping to kill the seeds of love as much as growing the seeds of infidelity.

It used to be much easier to stay in a relationship with someone because you weren't around them all the time. With today's technology you're never functionally without them. They can tell you about their day AS IT HAPPENS. Having a good hour-long conversation with someone has become very difficult as a result.

I don't necessarily think all this HAS to be a bad thing, but it does depress me a little bit simply because I believe the family unit has a kind of simple elegance to it that should be preserved for as long as possible for the benefit of humanity at large.