Bhikkhuni ordination - Dhammawiki

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
BudSas

Bhikkhuni ordination - Dhammawiki

Post by BudSas »

Hi David Snyder,

I have read your Dhammawiki page on bhikkhuni ordination at: http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... ordination

and I suggest you to check out 2 points:

1) "2009 In Australia, 8 novice nuns are given the full ordination ...": it should be 4, not 8.

2) "To be properly ordained, a nun must be ordained first by a quorum of monks and then a second time by a quorum of nuns.": it should be the other way round, ie. a nun must be ordained first by a quorum of nuns and then a second time by a quorum of monks. Actually, there are also other possible ways to ordain a bhikkhuni, see the excellent article by Bhikkhu Bodhi written last year, which is available on the Internet.

BDS
mikenz66

Re: Bhikkhuni ordination - Dhammawiki

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks BudSas,

The details of the procedure used in Perth are in Ven Sujato's blog:
http://sujato.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/ ... -happened/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ordination ceremony began at 7.15pm, Perth time. Ayyā Tathāālokā, a respected bhikkhuni of 13 years standing, was formally appointed as the preceptor (pavattinī) by the bhikkhuni Sangha. Since no more than three should be ordained at one time, the candidates were ordained in two groups of two. The full procedure is carried out by the bhikkhuni Sangha, with the candidates requesting their preceptor, being instructed outside the Sangha and questioned inside the Sangha, before the final ‘Motion and Three Announcements’ (ñatticatutthakamma), which is the ordination proper.

When the two pairs had been ordained among the bhikkhuni Sangha, they were led in pairs to the bhikkhu Sangha. The ordination in front of the bhikkhus is much simpler, as there is no questioning of the candidates or appointment of a preceptor. The role of the bhikkhu Sangha, according to the Pali Vinaya, is simply to confirm the ordination, stamping it with their seal of approval, and acknowledging the acceptance of the candidates. Ajahn Brahm and I did the chanting, and I confess to more than one shower of rapture as the auspicious words finally came true: evam etaṁ dhārayāmi – thus I will bear it in mind. The ceremony concluded around 9.00pm.
Metta
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Bhikkhuni ordination - Dhammawiki

Post by DNS »

Hi BDS, Mike,

Thank you! That's what I like about the wiki; it's very easy to edit and correct mistakes, as opposed to 'regular' websites where sometimes you have to enter in html codes, etc.

:thanks: