A meditation challenge?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

A meditation challenge?

Postby Individual » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 am

A long time ago, there was such a thread in the e-Sangha meditation forum, if you remember.

I've considered starting such a thread here, but I'm not sure what to write. I also didn't want to start a thread, "A meditation challenge?" asking people how to write it, because then whoever reads it wouldn't likely follow it, because the challenge wouldn't be determined for several posts or several pages.

Perhaps one of Dhamma Wheel's staff has an idea for such a thread?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: A meditation challenge?

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Individual

I am happy to endorse a thread which seeks to provide mutual support for members wishing to maintain their meditative practice.
Perhaps if members would like to detail the day-to-day struggle they have with their practice, perhaps journal-like, or post challenges they issue to themselves and hence draw on the support of their friends, please feel free to do so.
If there is anythign else I can do to facilitate support, please let me know.
But Individual, i want you to feel welcome to start the thread - perhaps in the Theravada meditation forum.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Individual » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 am

Ben wrote:But Individual, i want you to feel welcome to start the thread - perhaps in the Theravada meditation forum.
metta

Ben

I feel welcome, but not qualified. :)

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Individual
I see my role here as someone who can encourage others to engage with their practice.
The reason I invited you to start the thread is because I thought it might encourage you!
Go on mate, give it a go! All you need to do is start the thread and you'll find you;ll be supported by your friends.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Individual,

I'm game for a meditation challenge. I've recently made a resolve to meditate in one of the four postures for 2 hours each day regardless of the busyness of the day. I've met with some success but the aspiration and aditthana really gives energy to the practice. Let me know what you have in mind. Metta.

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby James the Giant » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:33 am

Individual wrote:I feel welcome, but not qualified. :)

Do it dude, I'll join in.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby BlackBird » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 am

All for it
:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Individual » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:48 am

Like I said, I don't know what to write. I don't know what the requirements ought to be.

Ben: Regardless of whoever writes it, it would be an encouragement to me.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby BlackBird » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:55 am

excuse me for my ignorance, but how does it work?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 am

Individual wrote:Like I said, I don't know what to write. I don't know what the requirements ought to be.

Ben: Regardless of whoever writes it, it would be an encouragement to me.

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling and start a 'meditation challenge' thread and close this one in the suggestion box.

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion box