Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
mikenz66

Re: Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Post by mikenz66 »

The official statement from Wat Pah Pong is now on the Forest Sangha site as a PDF, along with comments from Wat Nanachat.
http://forestsangha.org/index.php?optio ... 1&Itemid=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The statement from Wat Nanachat concludes:
Time only will tell if the bhikkhuni ordination at Bodhinyana monastery in October 2009 will be seen as a key breakthrough in the acceptance of a Theravada bhikkhuni order, or as an overly hasty and confrontational move that alienated many of those it was intended to persuade.
One hopes, of course, that it will be the former rather than the latter...

Metta :heart:
Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello David, Mike, all,

If it was on the Agenda for the December meeting, it ought to have been left until then. Thank you Mike for keeping us all abreast of developments in this matter.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mikenz66 wrote: The statement from Wat Nanachat concludes:
Time only will tell if the bhikkhuni ordination at Bodhinyana monastery in October 2009 will be seen as a key breakthrough in the acceptance of a Theravada bhikkhuni order, or as an overly hasty and confrontational move that alienated many of those it was intended to persuade.
One hopes, of course, that it will be the former rather than the latter...
:thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodhabill wrote:Hi David
David thank you letting all interested of Bhikkhu Bodhi's support to the Bhikkhuni Ordination http://www.supportbhikkhunis.org/ and thank you for your letter at the same site regarding the history of the Bhikkhuni ordinations
Hi Bill,

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

I hope the events in Australia prove fruitful and that it all turns out okay. It has been almost 1,000 years now since the bhikkhuni Order died out in Sri Lanka and I personally hope to see more bhikkhunis in the future.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: If it was on the Agenda for the December meeting, it ought to have been left until then. Thank you Mike for keeping us all abreast of developments in this matter.
Hi Chris,

Okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. But what if WPP still said no to bhikkhuni ordinations? I know it is just speculating on our part, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but if WPP still said no, would your opinion be to not have the ceremony (after December)?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dear Chris,
Chris wrote: If it was on the Agenda for the December meeting, it ought to have been left until then. Thank you Mike for keeping us all abreast of developments in this matter.
You're welcome. I know that these events are difficult for many, particularly those who have benefited from contact with some of the students (or students of students) of Ajahn Chah who are now caught up in this matter. I would urge everyone to consider the benefit that they have brought us, and to wish for a positive future, rather than engaging in speculation about the motives of the various the people involved, directly or peripherally.

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

As a matter of Thai civil law it was - and maybe still is - against the law in Thailand to ordain women. If it is, it probably is necessary for a Thai organization to disassociate oneself from something illegal, even if done in another country.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Hi Chris,

Okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. But what if WPP still said no to bhikkhuni ordinations? I know it is just speculating on our part, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but if WPP still said no, would your opinion be to not have the ceremony (after December)?

I don't think anybody ever expected that Wat Pah Pong would agree to the Bhikkhuni Ordination, it was simply going to be a meeting at which the Western senior monks (some of whom rarely see one another) would talk about the matter and the implications it has. The expectation would then have been for Ajahn Brahm to leave the Wat Pah Pong group unilaterally (although I cannot imagine him doing that, because he obviously thinks that he is acting in the correct way in line with the style of his teacher Ajahn Chah, who was also an independent-minded forest monk at odds with the official Sangha hierarchy). Doing it in that way would look nicer to the outside world, rather than being expelled.
:(
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:As a matter of Thai civil law it was - and maybe still is - against the law in Thailand to ordain women. If it is, it probably is necessary for a Thai organization to disassociate oneself from something illegal, even if done in another country.
Yes, that is one of the points made in the Wat Pah Pong document (though I'm not clear if it is actually civil law):
The individuals concerned cannot be considered Theravada Bhikkhunis, as this status contradicts the law of the Mahatherasamakhom, the Sangha administration of the Theravada order in Thailand.
I think that it is worth reading all the statements carefully, and reflecting on the difficulties for all concerned.

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:As a matter of Thai civil law it was - and maybe still is - against the law in Thailand to ordain women. If it is, it probably is necessary for a Thai organization to disassociate oneself from something illegal, even if done in another country.
Yes, that is one of the points made in the Wat Pah Pong document (though I'm not clear if it is actually civil law):
The individuals concerned cannot be considered Theravada Bhikkhunis, as this status contradicts the law of the Mahatherasamakhom, the Sangha administration of the Theravada order in Thailand.
I think that it is worth reading all the statements carefully, and reflecting on the difficulties for all concerned.

Metta
Mike
Then, clearly, the ordination was not a well thoughtout action as to what the reaction to it would have to be from the parent organization as well as the Thai monastic governing body.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Yes, Wat Pah Pong as a group enjoys a certain reputation in the Thai Sangha and Ajahn Brahm has recently become more visible in Thailand by giving talks, etc. When he suddenly does something which is technically against the Thai law (although there are other senior Thai monks who agree with it in principle), it might raise uncomfortable questions which will have to be answered by WPP representatives in Thailand. Since they are part of the official Thai Sangha institution, they have abide by the rulings of the Mahatherasamakhom (Council of Elders) and the Thai laws. Thai monks living abroad are regarded as "missionaries" (dhammaduta) and are controlled from Thailand, in the same way that the Vatican controls all branches of the Catholic church around the world. With Western monks it is a bit of a problem, though, because they are not Thai citizens and don't need special permissions from the Dept of Religious Affairs to travel abroad to spread Thai Buddhism there. So their status with regard to the Thai Sangha institution is a bit vague... There are some expectations as to how they should behave, but formally there is no requirement for them to follow Thai laws while they are abroad. It is more a matter of "knowing what should be done."
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gavesako wrote:
Yes, Wat Pah Pong as a group enjoys a certain reputation .... It is more a matter of "knowing what should be done."
Thanks. That puts it into perspective.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dear Ven Gavesako,

Thank you for your contributions and clarifications. I know that this must be a difficult time and I sincerely wish you and the other monastics associated with Ajahn Chah well for the future.

Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

gavesako wrote: I don't think anybody ever expected that Wat Pah Pong would agree to the Bhikkhuni Ordination,
Hi Bhante,

Okay, thanks. Then it appears that the timing of the ordinations in October vs. after December is moot, since they would never have approved anyway.

Thanks for the contributions, your work, your support of bhikkhunis, and clarifications. Metta to all.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I wonder if amidst all the technicalities, politics and maneuvering, the simple question of whether or not this is going to help promote the Dhamma among women, has been addressed (by the "opposition")?

Clearly the Sangha are the torch-bearers of the Dhamma, the guardians of the spirit and the letter. Having a (largely) male Theravada Sangha limits the appeal of the Dhamma in the modern world, both for women and men, I think.

And I feel that having fully ordained Theravada bhikkhunis will help address this imbalance and inspire thousands of women across the world.

I remember when we had Ajahn Thanasanti http://awakeningtruth.org/ajahn_thanasanti.php come and talk. What an amazing talk directly from experience, and what an inspirational woman! Many of us were moved deeply and I am certain a seed was planted in many of us in the audience.

I hope the new bhikkhunis are inspired by this ordination and further inspire thousands!

_/|\_
_/|\_