Ritual, Practice, and The Path... What?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
mikenz66

Re: Ritual, Practice, and The Path... What?

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Pink,
pink_trike wrote: Sounds like information overload - it's a dis-ease of modern culture. So much to read. So much to talk about. You could go a a whole life time just talking and reading...

When I stepped onto the path, teachers advocated PRACTICE. Study came later...usually much later. After a student had settled into a committed practice, then sutras were generally given to them one at a time...one sutra was studied for an extended period of time, while continuing with a committed practice...before another sutra was introduced.
I think this is an excellent illustration of why a real-life teacher is so useful. It's much easier to accept the (standard) approach you are expounding when it comes from a real-life teacher that one has confidence in than from an internet forum (no reflection on you personally, of course :))

Personally, I took up practise because I was impressed by the monks at my Wat, and wanted to be happier (like them). Over the (relatively few) years it has become clear how deep their knowledge actually is. It takes a while because they are careful not to tell me too much about things that I have not experienced. Every so often I have a (minor) breakthrough, which always turns out to be old news to them...

Of course, it's trickier if you are working without a teacher. I would echo the advice to stick to some simple instructions from a reputable teacher for some time (measured in months or years), rather than seek out too many alternatives and risk confusion.

Metta
Mike
notself

Post by notself »

I practice alone. After reading What the Buddha Taught, I jumped into Access to Insight and started reading the Suttas. At first I was totally lost. I didn't understand the definitions of the Pali words. I was confused by the sentence structure. I was baffled by the concepts. I kept on reading and found a good glossary, link below. Although having a teacher would have certainly helped, I managed to begin to figure things out. The Buddhist forums, especially E-sangha, helped tremendously. I now find even more useful information and discussion on this forum. The links that I pick up from posts are always terrific.

http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/dic_idx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dive in, get lost and then found in the Suttas. :reading:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

I've decided that I'm simply not in a position to study and practice entirely on my own. My confidence in my ability to gleam, from texts, the knowledge that I need to truly begin practicing well is not much. So, I've signed up for a beginner's meditation retreat next year: April 15, 2010 at Bhavana Society (which is a couple hours from here.)
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

adamposey wrote:I've decided that I'm simply not in a position to study and practice entirely on my own. My confidence in my ability to gleam, from texts, the knowledge that I need to truly begin practicing well is not much. So, I've signed up for a beginner's meditation retreat next year: April 15, 2010 at Bhavana Society (which is a couple hours from here.)
Good decision. They'll get you set squarely on the path. :clap:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

pink_trike wrote:
adamposey wrote:I've decided that I'm simply not in a position to study and practice entirely on my own. My confidence in my ability to gleam, from texts, the knowledge that I need to truly begin practicing well is not much. So, I've signed up for a beginner's meditation retreat next year: April 15, 2010 at Bhavana Society (which is a couple hours from here.)
Good decision. They'll get you set squarely on the path. :clap:
Until the time they give me formal training I kind of wonder if I should actively make it a point to meditate. The reason I say that is.. what if I build up bad habits that will hinder me from meditating properly?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Adam,

I think if you follow some straightforward instructions, such as "Mindfulness in Plain English", by Bhante G. (recommended by Pink_Trike) and try to not have any particular expectations of what will happen in your meditation you should be fine. If you go into the retreat with the idea that you are there to learn, not to judge the instructions against what you've been doing, but with some practise and discipline in sitting watching your breath that would likely be an advantage, I think. And presumably the style they teach at the Bhavana Society is compatible with Bhante G's book. You might consider reading and listening to some of the other resources there.

I'm not personally that familiar with Bhante G, but I did read Mindfulness in Plain English a while ago and I recall it being good. And many people recommend it. Different teachers have different approaches to beginning meditation, so in my view it's less confusing to just take your advice from one (reputable!) teacher, or one group, such as the Bhavana Society. It's not that the other teachers are "wrong", but they may emphasise different things, perhaps in different orders, so it can become confusing...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

In fact, at the Bhavana Society it says:

http://www.bhavanasociety.org/main/faq_ ... d%20before" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What if I have not meditated before?

There are lots of resources on this site as well as a list of books we recomend.

If you are coming to a retreat and have never meditated before, we recomend very highly that you read Bhante G’s book, Mindfulness in Plain English. We also recomend that you start to do some meditation on your own just so you have a little bit of experience before you get here. But no experience is required for beginner retreats.
Metta
Mike
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Pink,
pink_trike wrote: Sounds like information overload - it's a dis-ease of modern culture. So much to read. So much to talk about. You could go a a whole life time just talking and reading...

When I stepped onto the path, teachers advocated PRACTICE. Study came later...usually much later. After a student had settled into a committed practice, then sutras were generally given to them one at a time...one sutra was studied for an extended period of time, while continuing with a committed practice...before another sutra was introduced.
I think this is an excellent illustration of why a real-life teacher is so useful. It's much easier to accept the (standard) approach you are expounding when it comes from a real-life teacher that one has confidence in than from an internet forum (no reflection on you personally, of course :))
Yup. Just being in the presence of a highly practiced teacher can be a teaching by itself. There's the pudding and the proof right in front of you in the energy and clarity of their communication, expressions, and movements - there's an equanimity and contentment/happiness there that can't be faked.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Aint that the truth. And even the most eloquent and knowledgable writer cannot convey that aspect of themselves in print. I was very fortunate in that almost the first flesh and blood Buddhist that I met ( the monk who became Dhiravamsa ) conveyed all those qualities, the equanimity and contentment/happiness. So, in addition to practice practice practice, i too would strongly recommend seeking out those who embody those qualities. Their ability to inspire is enormous.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Yes, yes. That has been my experience too. I've only ever had the chance to be around four ordained teachers. They each have their own unique admirable qualities. But one of them in particular left a deep impression on me. The quality of dhamma that emanated from his speech and actions inspired me in a way that no book could.
With metta,
zavk
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

jcsuperstar wrote:here's an amazon list of theravada books i made that might help

http://www.amazon.com/recomended-Therav ... rpli_alt_4
Great list! :twothumbsup:

At Wisdom Books you can also browse few Theravada titles:
http://www.wisdom-books.com/SubjectHead ... =B&SHID=12
They use to give books for free (Wat Pa Baan Taad publications)