unravelling the mysteries of mind & body through abhidhamma

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
jcsuperstar

unravelling the mysteries of mind & body through abhidhamma

Post by jcsuperstar »

unravelling the mysteries of mind and body through abhidhamma by sayalay susila
is the book i'm cureently working on now
anyone read this book? any thoughts on it? i'm not that far into it i started yesterday and i'm taking it little by little
Dhammanando

Re: unravelling the mysteries of mind & body through abhidhamma

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:anyone read this book? any thoughts on it?
No, I haven't heard of the book or its author, but I should be interested to hear more when you've finished it. Or even as you're reading it, if you should chance across anything of interest.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

when she's telling stories fom the suttas to show how this makes sense, then it does make sense. when its all rupa kalapas and different kinds of bhavangas and javana it gets confusing...

at first when i was reading about the kalapas i was all like, wtf? is this real? does this make sense in a scientific way? i used to work at for a genetics and biology journal, i should know if this is real or not. then i was reminded that i have no idea whats going on at a sub atomic level....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

also its an inward path book, would you like me to try to get you one?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:also its an inward path book, would you like me to try to get you one?
If it's not too much trouble. Thank you. :smile:

Kalāpas are cool.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

What's a kalapa? From here:
U Ba Khin wrote:The Buddha taught His disciples that everything that exists at the material level is composed of "Kalapas." Kalapas are material units very much smaller than atoms, which die out immediately after they come into being. Each kalapa is a mass formed of the eight basic constituents of matter, the solid, liquid, calorific and oscillatory, together with color, smell, taste, and nutriment. The first four are called primary qualities, and are predominant in a kalapa. The other four are subsidiaries, dependent upon and springing from the former. A kalapa is the minutest particle in the physical plane — still beyond the range of science today. It is only when the eight basic material constituents unite together that the kalapa is formed. In other words, the momentary collocation of these eight basic elements of behavior makes a man just for that moment, which in Buddhism is known as a kalapa. The life-span of a kalapa is termed a moment, and a trillion such moments are said to elapse during the wink of a man's eye. These kalapas are all in a state of perpetual change or flux.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Peter wrote:What's a kalapa? From here:
U Ba Khin wrote:The Buddha taught His disciples that everything that exists at the material level is composed of "Kalapas." Kalapas are material units very much smaller than atoms, which die out immediately after they come into being. Each kalapa is a mass formed of the eight basic constituents of matter, the solid, liquid, calorific and oscillatory, together with color, smell, taste, and nutriment. The first four are called primary qualities, and are predominant in a kalapa. The other four are subsidiaries, dependent upon and springing from the former. A kalapa is the minutest particle in the physical plane — still beyond the range of science today. It is only when the eight basic material constituents unite together that the kalapa is formed. In other words, the momentary collocation of these eight basic elements of behavior makes a man just for that moment, which in Buddhism is known as a kalapa. The life-span of a kalapa is termed a moment, and a trillion such moments are said to elapse during the wink of a man's eye. These kalapas are all in a state of perpetual change or flux.
I mean really, is there anything that the Buddha did not teach? This was 2500 years ago and he was still ahead of even the science of today. Unbelievable. Buddha :bow: :bow: :bow:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello jc, all,

How did the book go? Have you finished it
I found this description of the book "
UNRAVELLING THE MYSTERIES OF MIND AND BODY THROUGH ABHIDHAMMA - Sayalay Susima
http://www.inwardpath.org/ipp2u/catalog ... c7be9b254c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sayalay Susima shared some of her Abhidhamma teachings here:
http://www.dhammaweb.net/dhammadb/autho ... %20Sayalay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello jcsuperstar,

Did you manage to get a copy of the book to Ven. Dhammanando? And having read it yourself, what is your opinion of it?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:
Peter wrote:What's a kalapa? From here:
I mean really, is there anything that the Buddha did not teach? This was 2500 years ago and he was still ahead of even the science of today. Unbelievable. Buddha :bow: :bow: :bow:

:namaste:
Scholarly opinion is that advanced and complex information like this was known in nearly all advanced premodern and ancient cultures. As humanity entered a period of great intellectual decline, this information was stored in "religious" teachings, mythologies, social/moral codes to preserve it in the greatest number of memory banks in the hopes that it would be revived at a later period and not lost forever.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.