Food

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Food

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:42 am

not sure if this is the best place to put it but it is referencing the suttas although feel free to move to a better place admin!

What food is actually mentioned in the suttas and Vinaya?
by food I mean for consumption not as in the bag of pulses and rice in the Satipatthana!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Food

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 am

By food in the Suttas, do you mean which foods are acceptable or which foods the Buddha ate? If it is the latter, I have had a strong interest in that subject and have compiled some references to the exact foods the Buddha ate. They are compiled here:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Diet_of_Buddha

There are a few more that I need to add, but are similar to what is shown there already.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 am

TheDhamma wrote:By food in the Suttas, do you mean which foods are acceptable or which foods the Buddha ate? If it is the latter, I have had a strong interest in that subject and have compiled some references to the exact foods the Buddha ate. They are compiled here:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Diet_of_Buddha

There are a few more that I need to add, but are similar to what is shown there already.

Both really
&
Thanks
WM
Manapa
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:25 am

Just had a look and very interesting will be bookmarking this
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Dhammanando » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 am

Hi Manapa,

Manapa wrote:What food is actually mentioned in the suttas and Vinaya?

In the case of the Vinaya you'll get a good idea from Ven. Thanissaro's exposition of the Food Chapter in his Buddhist Monastic Code.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:37 am

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,

Manapa wrote:What food is actually mentioned in the suttas and Vinaya?

In the case of the Vinaya you'll get a good idea from Ven. Thanissaro's exposition of the Food Chapter in his Buddhist Monastic Code.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Hi Dhammanando
Thanks not read his monastic code but have saved the Vinaya in one of my files!
I will have to sort through my files and put things in a better order?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Return to Classical Theravāda