Food

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Cittasanto

Food

Post by Cittasanto »

not sure if this is the best place to put it but it is referencing the suttas although feel free to move to a better place admin!

What food is actually mentioned in the suttas and Vinaya?
by food I mean for consumption not as in the bag of pulses and rice in the Satipatthana!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Food

Post by DNS »

By food in the Suttas, do you mean which foods are acceptable or which foods the Buddha ate? If it is the latter, I have had a strong interest in that subject and have compiled some references to the exact foods the Buddha ate. They are compiled here:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Diet_of_Buddha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few more that I need to add, but are similar to what is shown there already.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote:By food in the Suttas, do you mean which foods are acceptable or which foods the Buddha ate? If it is the latter, I have had a strong interest in that subject and have compiled some references to the exact foods the Buddha ate. They are compiled here:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Diet_of_Buddha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few more that I need to add, but are similar to what is shown there already.
Both really
&
Thanks
WM
Manapa

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Just had a look and very interesting will be bookmarking this

John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:What food is actually mentioned in the suttas and Vinaya?
In the case of the Vinaya you'll get a good idea from Ven. Thanissaro's exposition of the Food Chapter in his Buddhist Monastic Code.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:What food is actually mentioned in the suttas and Vinaya?
In the case of the Vinaya you'll get a good idea from Ven. Thanissaro's exposition of the Food Chapter in his Buddhist Monastic Code.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Hi Dhammanando
Thanks not read his monastic code but have saved the Vinaya in one of my files!
I will have to sort through my files and put things in a better order?

John Stuart Mill