what method do you use?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cittasanto

Re: what method do you use?

Post by Cittasanto »

pererin wrote:Hi Retro
retrofuturist wrote: I generally go straight to the Pali Canon for meditation instruction.
Would you quote me the references I need to study this, please?

Thanks
If you also go onto the index and look at sati and satipatthana which is just bellow.
there are whole sections of information on both as well as others
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I am currently being instructed in Samantha meditation at a local group in Belfast. As tonight is only the third meeting I'll have attended I haven't really developed that far with it.

The first week I was told "Breathe in slowly and deeply, counting from 1 to 9 then breathe out slowly and gently counting from 9 to one". Always being mindful (different, I feel from focussing) on the breath. If I find my mind wandering, acknowledge the thought and gently come back to the breath. This first week I was asked to try for maybe about 5 minutes.

The second week (last week) I was instructed to do the first weeks practice, and then after about 5 minutes of longest breathing (the 1-9 in and 9-1 out) move on to longer breathing (in 1-6 and out 6-1) for another 5 minutes or so.

I will attend class the third tonight :)

I enjoy it, so far, but do find that the mind is, as described by wiser men than mem like a naughty child :).
He who formerly was wreckless and afterwards became sober
brightens this world, like the moon when freed from clouds
bodom

Post by bodom »

Slartibartfast wrote:I am currently being instructed in Samantha meditation at a local group in Belfast. As tonight is only the third meeting I'll have attended I haven't really developed that far with it.

The first week I was told "Breathe in slowly and deeply, counting from 1 to 9 then breathe out slowly and gently counting from 9 to one". Always being mindful (different, I feel from focussing) on the breath. If I find my mind wandering, acknowledge the thought and gently come back to the breath. This first week I was asked to try for maybe about 5 minutes.

The second week (last week) I was instructed to do the first weeks practice, and then after about 5 minutes of longest breathing (the 1-9 in and 9-1 out) move on to longer breathing (in 1-6 and out 6-1) for another 5 minutes or so.

I will attend class the third tonight :)

I enjoy it, so far, but do find that the mind is, as described by wiser men than mem like a naughty child :).
Good work! Keep it up!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

Question for ya Ben,

When you say as one progresses, one also starts to observe the other foundations, such as citta and dhamma, (because kaya and vedana are observed together by observing sensation as I understood from Goenkaji's discourses on Satipatthana),

This is something which starts to occur naturally right?

I mean, I start by observing all vedanas on the body (kaya) therefore aware of the first 2, and naturally I become aware of dhammas manifesting themselves in citta along with the awareness of vedanas.. Isn't that so?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, basically that's right. It is something that occurs naturally and as a result of sustained practice.
Eventually, one just develops a choice less observation of phenomena. But it takes time.
Also remember that there are only four cittas that do not co-arise with vedana, formless-realm cittas, so by observing vedana you are also observing mind.
Kind regards and welcome to Dhamma wheel!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Bahiya Sutta method:

"Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."

Ud 1.10
Bahiya Sutta

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB