Is ownership just an illusion?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Re: Is ownership just an illusion?

Post by Annapurna »

My parents picked the programs I was allowed to watch, and not too much,.

Especially American comics got banned.

As an adult, they had no impact no me. Other than noticing incredible cruelty in them, I thought it was bizarre and dangerous, that comic characters got up again after having been made flat, and acted as if nothing had happened.

I can't even imagine which impact this has on the minds of children, who get dumped in front of the TV.

On the other hand I've watched very valuable American movies as well, educative, enlightening.

Perhaps it depends on ourselves, what we draw out of them and I would say the same counts for the actors.

Sense, depth and sensitivity of artists should never be underestimated.

Last edited by Annapurna on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Ben wrote:Catmoon
I suggest you re-read what I said above and please be mindful of your erroneous perception.
Ben
I read it pretty carefully. I wonder what you think is going on in my mind.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

catmoon wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Dugu
For the character in the movie, she made the profound realisation on her deathbed.
Sadder still is that the vast majority of people don't.
kind regards

Ben
So false. She didn't realize anything, she was just an actress reading the lines in the script. Or are you feeling empathy for a figment of someone's imagination?
Dear Catmoon, movies are like day-dreams or- like legends, perhaps the Jataka tales, if you will!

True or not, fairytale or legend, it doesn't matter, if it triggers, in the observer, a leap of insight and I admit, some good movies do that for me... :smile:

I've been shown a movie by my teacher, dear friend.

It had the intended effect, let me say so much.

The tool is irrelevant, just so long the teacher can pick up a student with it, where he's at.

If an ordinary audience realizes, while and through resonating with a character, that we do indeed, own nothing, -and can't take anything with us, then this is great, isn't it?

:hug:
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Annabel wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Dugu
For the character in the movie, she made the profound realisation on her deathbed.
Sadder still is that the vast majority of people don't.
kind regards

Ben
So false. She didn't realize anything, she was just an actress reading the lines in the script. Or are you feeling empathy for a figment of someone's imagination?
Dear Catmoon, movies are like day-dreams or- like legends, perhaps the Jataka tales, if you will!

True or not, fairytale or legend, it doesn't matter, if it triggers, in the observer, a leap of insight and I admit, some good movies do that for me... :smile:

I've been shown a movie by my teacher, dear friend.

It had the intended effect, let me say so much.

The tool is irrelevant, just so long the teacher can pick up a student with it, where he's at.

If an ordinary audience realizes, while and through resonating with a character, that we do indeed, own nothing, -and can't take anything with us, then this is great, isn't it?

:hug:
Realization is fine, but I can't help worrying about the possibility of mistaking the finger pointing for the goal. Parables are a time tested means of communication, but they have strange effects on the minds that receive them. Sometimes. I don't see the tools as entirely irrelevant. They are causes and they have effects. I dunno, maybe I'm arguing about the provenance of an arrow...
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

catmoon wrote:
Realization is fine, but I can't help worrying about the possibility of mistaking the finger pointing for the goal. Parables are a time tested means of communication, but they have strange effects on the minds that receive them. Sometimes. I don't see the tools as entirely irrelevant. They are causes and they have effects. I dunno, maybe I'm arguing about the provenance of an arrow...
Perhaps? Don't know. :smile:

I know we can all tell the soup from the spoon, though... :bow:
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Dugu wrote:I was watching this movie and one of the main character has a terminal disease and on her final moments in life with her lover by her side, she says "Suddenly I feel like...I have never owned anything at all" That line in the movie made me think about how much in our society we focus on acquiring things and yet we can lose it all suddenly as if it was never ours in the first place.

We came empty handed and will leave empty handed. As you said nothing belonged to us in the first place. Only through our ignorance do we cling to things that are by nature impermanent . She came to this insight on her death bed.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.