Hello All

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Dhammakid

Hello All

Post by Dhammakid »

I'm Kourtney Mitchell, aka Dhammakid. I frequent the E-Sangha board as Dharmakid and Retro invited me to join this one. It looks great and I hope to contribute to discussion as well as learn from the many great minds here.

I'm a college student here in the States, among other things. Sociology major. I hope to eventually obtain a master's in social work and do anti-violence work with young males. But if I could start over, I would pursue a major in Eastern religions or Buddhist studies or something along those lines. I guess I still could if I wanted.

I love to write poetry and read, study Theravada Buddhism, contribute to social justice and liberal politics as much as I can, and learn about ways to help sustain the environment. I'm also really into quantum physics and astronomy as hobbies.

I'm pretty bent on ordination in the Thai Forest tradition. Once I get some things worked out in my life, I'm hoping to ordain soon after. Most likely I'll be at a monastery in the States, but going overseas to maybe Thailand or Cambodia is a possibility also.

I first came to Buddhism a year ago after learning meditation from a past student group leader here on campus (University of Missouri in Columbia). I adopted Theravada, and then Korean Zen, and now I'm back with Theravada. I am still very new to the Dhamma, although I am learning very fast.

I have a great interest in interfaith dialogue and it's another possible career. I love to study the work of Ghandi and Thich Nhat Hahn as they have been among the biggest proponents of interfaith cooperation. Also, Snatam Kaur Khalsa, a Sikh, and her peace work is another inspiration of mine.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. Thanks for having me. May all be happy and peaceful :)

Namaste,
Dhammakid
Last edited by Dhammakid on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Re: Hello All

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dhammakid,

Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Element

Post by Element »

Welcome DhammaKid

I enjoyed reading your inspiring post.

May the Buddha-Dhamma bring your life fulfillment.

Kind regards,

Element

P.S. the following is an interfaith video you may enjoy What is Real Love - A Sufi Perspective
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dhammakid and welcome to Dhamma Wheel
I remember your posts at the other site.
A very good Dhamma-friend currently producing his third volume of poetry. There is a long tradition of poetic expression within Buddhism that goes back to the Buddha, Himself!
All the best!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Element wrote:Welcome DhammaKid

I enjoyed reading your inspiring post.

May the Buddha-Dhamma bring your life fulfillment.

Kind regards,

Element

P.S. the following is an interfaith video you may enjoy What is Real Love - A Sufi Perspective
Hello Element,
Thank you very much for the wonderful Sufi video. I very much enjoy studying Sufism among other mystical threads of popular religions. I think this particular Sufi teacher speaks with great conviction and passion.

Namaste,
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Ben wrote:Hi Dhammakid and welcome to Dhamma Wheel
I remember your posts at the other site.
A very good Dhamma-friend currently producing his third volume of poetry. There is a long tradition of poetic expression within Buddhism that goes back to the Buddha, Himself!
All the best!

Ben
Haha, yes indeed Ben! I think I enjoy reading Buddhist poetry the most of any others. And the Buddha seemed to be a master of it :)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hi Kourtney,

Welcome and do keep us updated on your progress toward ordination, if you decide to choose that path.

I just noticed that your screen name here is DhammaKid whereas it was DharmaKid at e-sangha. You changed it to the Pali term. Cool! :)
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

TheDhamma wrote:Hi Kourtney,

Welcome and do keep us updated on your progress toward ordination, if you decide to choose that path.

I just noticed that your screen name here is DhammaKid whereas it was DharmaKid at e-sangha. You changed it to the Pali term. Cool! :)
Hello The Dhamma,
I will indeed inform everyone of what progress is made when I'm finally ready for ordination.

And yes, I thought it appropriate to change my screen name to the Pali rendering of the word since this is a Theravada community. I actually kinda wanna change it on E-Sangha as well, but I'm being lazy about it at the moment.

:namaste:
Dhammakid