most annoying.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Aloka

Re: most annoying.

Post by Aloka »

How interesting, Tilt !

Actually I did think that your jackels had quite large ears for foxes, but they do look very similar !
I saw some wolves at a wildlife park recently - not an ideal place for them , but they had a large enclosure. Beautiful animals with very gentle intelligent faces. The snow leopards were amazing too.

Cute possums ! We don't have those in the UK.

cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Tilt,

Call that a possum?

This is a possum!

We currently have one of these and a mischevious offspring who is living in our (now blocked off) open fire-place. As soon as the little fella is weaned, we are putting a possum box in the large tree in the yard and putting a grate over the chimney. The little fella has got into the house twice and caused chaos at about 1.00 a.m.

http://www.ozanimals.com/Mammal/Common- ... ecula.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

That picture was a baby. I am sure they get bigger in Oz but then so do your spiders and other creepy crawlies.

This can give you a good idea how large Americam (O)possums get
http://www.ehow.com/video_4433073_what-opossum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
as big as they get
as big as they get
seanopossum[1].jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
50 to 52 teath. The most of any land mamal
50 to 52 teath. The most of any land mamal
opossum-50391[1].jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
This idiot helped mess up the Gore-Bush election in 2000 in Florida. Bite her possum, bite her for all of us.
This idiot helped mess up the Gore-Bush election in 2000 in Florida. Bite her possum, bite her for all of us.
katherine-harris-holds-possum[1].jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Aaargh ! So cruel to hold them by a leg or the tail ! I wonder if the humans would have liked to be dangled in such a painful and frightening way by a huge alien creature.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:.

Aaargh ! So cruel to hold them by a leg or the tail ! I wonder if the humans would have liked to be dangled in such a painful and frightening way by a huge alien creature.

American possums have a prehensile tail. Very strong, so holding them that way is not going to hurt them. It is better to hold them that way than by the leg, but you are quite correct. Human can treat animals with such disregard.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I've often wondered about the viability of a possum export operation.
You see here in NZ they're a 'pest' they just love to munch on all our endangered native bush.
In Australia on the other hand, they're a protected species.

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jack
BlackBird wrote:I've often wondered about the viability of a possum export operation.
You see here in NZ they're a 'pest' they just love to munch on all our endangered native bush.
In Australia on the other hand, they're a protected (and much loved) species.

:anjali:
I actually had the same thought when I did my 20-day course in NZ several years ago. They were living in the grounds of a meditation centre which was situated in its own very bushy valley. Being protected by first-precept loving meditators, the ex-patriot possums were as bold as brass and had no fear of meditator-humans. Often just preening themselves within arms reach as we came out of the meditation hall following the last session of the evening. When I was told that there were in excess of 70 million possums in NZ making short work of the native flora, I wondered why no one thought of putting them on a boat and sending them back home.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ben wrote:When I was told that there were in excess of 70 million possums in NZ making short work of the native flora, I wondered why no one thought of putting them on a boat and sending them back home.
I think they lost their passports... :thinking:

And they like it here... :tongue:

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mike,
Indeed they do like NZ. I like it there too!
But...
Do you really want to keep them??
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Oh dear, I think I caused Tilt to change his avatar! Leave it to me and my glitter...
At least everyone knows now how to make his/her own smiley now though.

:hug: :rofl: :hug: :rofl:
:woohoo: :juggling: :woohoo:

For sure this post is only slightly annoying.

:group:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

LauraJ wrote:Oh dear, I think I caused Tilt to change his avatar! Leave it to me and my glitter...
At least everyone knows now how to make his/her own smiley now though.

:: :: :: ::
:: :: ::

For sure this post is only slightly annoying.

::
I was thinking of changing it, anyway. A little outside impetus never hurts. I really liked the pancake rabbit, but really am partial to canines.

LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Hi Tilt,

Oh well, if it's an avatar you need then you've come to the right place.
But your new one is so cute, I have to advise you to keep it.

Best,
Laura
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

LauraJ wrote:Hi Tilt,

Oh well, if it's an avatar you need then you've come to the right place.
But your new one is so cute, I have to advise you to keep it.

Best,
Laura
Cute? I was thinking it was manly, being a manly man who does manly things in a manly manner. I am partial to it, however, so I'll be keeping it for a while.

LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

Oh, indeed. It is manly! Forget that cute remark. Such a creature certainly does things in a manly manner.
It's all kinds of other things like furry and stuff.

Hmmmmm, that smiley shows a foot where our mouths normally are...

Best,
Laura
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:manly, being a manly man who does manly things in a manly manner. I am partial to it

direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLIIKrJ6nnI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSSQEieTPw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoaIYB0qTQY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zZbTC6UCA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:jumping:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."