Monks' & Nuns' names

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
being5

Monks' & Nuns' names

Post by being5 »

Are monks & nuns given their names at ordination?
How are the names chosen and by whom?
Might there be two (or more) monastics contemporary with each other both having the same name?
If names are given at ordination what happens with 'novices' - are they called by their ordinary lay names?

thanks
being5
gavesako

Re: Monks' & Nuns' names

Post by gavesako »

being5 wrote:Are monks & nuns given their names at ordination?
How are the names chosen and by whom?
Might there be two (or more) monastics contemporary with each other both having the same name?
If names are given at ordination what happens with 'novices' - are they called by their ordinary lay names?

thanks
being5
Yes, monks are given Pali names at ordination, and there is a limited supply of these names which means there will be many "Gavesakos" etc. So often monks will also be called by their given lay names. Novices sometimes don't get a Pali name.

(Note: I am signing off for 3 months because I will be going to Thailand for some retreat time. See you all later.)

:buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

gavesako wrote:(Note: I am signing off for 3 months because I will be going to Thailand for some retreat time. See you all later.)
I hope you find what you are searching for :)

In Burma, the tradition is to give a name depending on the day of the week on which you were born. Someone born on a Thursday, would be given a name beginning with Pa, Pha, Ba, Bha, or Ma. The name is usually chosen by the Preceptor or one of the other monks taking part in the ordination.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

What if you didn't like the name they give you, can you make a request for another? just wondering... :mrgreen:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dugu,
Dugu wrote:What if you didn't like the name they give you, can you make a request for another? just wondering... :mrgreen:
I guess the first point is that if one didn't like the name, it would be a good exercise in equanimity...

I've heard one of Ajahn Chah's students (Ajahn Amaro I think) discuss this in one of his Dhamma Talks. As I recall, he got a name he didn't really like (all the impressive names, like Brahamavamso, were used up...) and got a chance to change it later (perhaps after his initial five years). I believe he also said that some monks changed their name every few years (as a sort of identity-reduction exercise).

Metta
Mike
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Dugu,
Dugu wrote:What if you didn't like the name they give you, can you make a request for another? just wondering... :mrgreen:
I guess the first point is that if one didn't like the name, it would be a good exercise in equanimity...

I've heard one of Ajahn Chah's students (Ajahn Amaro I think) discuss this in one of his Dhamma Talks. As I recall, he got a name he didn't really like (all the impressive names, like Brahamavamso, were used up...) and got a chance to change it later (perhaps after his initial five years). I believe he also said that some monks changed their name every few years (as a sort of identity-reduction exercise).

Metta
Mike
Cool. :smile:
BudSas

Post by BudSas »

gavesako wrote:
Yes, monks are given Pali names at ordination, and there is a limited supply of these names which means there will be many "Gavesakos" etc. So often monks will also be called by their given lay names. Novices sometimes don't get a Pali name.
In Thailand, often the officially ordained Pali names are too long to remember, people usually address the monks by their lay names or nick names which are shorter and easier to remember, eg Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Mun, Ajahn Liam, etc.

This practice of calling shorter names is also popular in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.

BDS
James N. Dawson

Post by James N. Dawson »

I was thinking of this just the other day. What would really embarrass and conflict me is if I were given the same name as a very prominent monk. It would make me feel very awkward, and worry that the prominent monk would feel the same way, or even resentful (even if he tried not to be), thinking I might have tried to inluence the teacher in his choice. And if I objected, even politely, I might be seen as ungrateful or troublesome. This is all pretty much academic, since I don't plan to ordain any time soon, but it's just a disturbing possibility I thought of.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

That reminds me of that scene in Reservoir Dogs when they are all being given their code names and they start arguing about them :lol:
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn