Attainment as Qualification to Teach?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
AdvaitaJ

Attainment as Qualification to Teach?

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Greetings all,

I've recently discovered that one of the people from whom I've most enjoyed learning the dhamma has definitely not attained stream entry. I wasn't seeking to learn their level of attainment (or lack thereof), it was just casually mentioned during a recent dhamma talk. I now find that I'm thinking about this when I listen to other dhamma talks by this person.

To the point, should a teacher at least be someone suspected to be Sotapanna? Am I wrong to allow this unrequested knowledge of their lack of attainment to affect my view of the person as a teacher? I certainly feel I've learned a lot from their talks, but now I wonder if my time might not have been better invested listening to a teacher "a bit further along the path". Comments? Guidance?

AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
jcsuperstar

Re: Attainment as Qualification to Teach?

Post by jcsuperstar »

i know it wouldnt bother me, as long as theyre "a bit further along the path" than i am.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

well the suttas do mention this and from memory I elieve they need to beon the path, stream entry or above to teach what is dhamma as dhamma etc, ithout straying into teaching what is not dhamma as dhamma etc although how do you know they are not just trying to put you off the scent?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings AdvaitaJ,

You could listen to Dhamma Talks from the Buddha... he wasn't just a stream-entrant, he was The Arahant!

The Buddha is cool 8-)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
poto

Post by poto »

If somebody is a Sotapanna, then surely they are well qualified to teach Dhamma. However, I do not think that stream entry is required to teach Dhamma. Many people including many monastics lack attainments, yet they are still able to teach the Dhamma effectively and benefit many.

If you no longer feel comfortable learning from a particular teacher, perhaps finding another teacher would benefit you. Or as Retro suggested, you could study the Buddha's teachings directly.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Five qualities (thoughts, in a teacher) for teaching Dhamma:

1. I will speak step-by-step
2. I will speak explaining the sequence of cause and effect
3. I will speak out of compassion
4. I will speak not for the purpose of material reward
5. I will speak without hurting myself or others

(from Anguttara Nikaya 5.159)

It is difficult to know what a teacher's attainments are (if any) and even if they report a certain stage they could be mistaken. Some may even have a calm and good disposition, but could be faking it while in public. In private they might be a different person. The best way to really know them is when living with them for an extended time, which the Buddha mentions in one discourse.

One thing that is a turn-off for me is when a teacher (usually a lay one) charges exorbitant fees for Dhamma programs (see #4 above) or routinely mentions other specific teachers for the point of disparaging them (see #3 and #5 above).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Three essential qualities in one who teaches Dhamma:

1. The teacher is able to penetrate the letter and spirit of the teachings
2. The one hears is able to do so too
3. Both teacher and listener are able to do both of these

(from Majjhima Nikaya 137, Digha Nikaya 12)

"Penetrating the letter and spirit" is a little vague, but I suppose could imply some attainment. Certainly a teacher should be at least knowledgeable about the Dhamma.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear AJ
Ummm....personally, and maybe this is just me, but I would be very cautious with any teacher claiming this or that attainment.
Within traditional Buddhist cultures in Southeast Asia, a lay person declaring they have a particular attainment invites scrutiny. And of course, it is a breach of vinaya for a monastic to indicate their attainment to a lay person. My experience has been that one indicator that a person has attained is their humility.
Anyway, they're just my thoughts.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

AdvaitaJ wrote:Greetings all,

I've recently discovered that one of the people from whom I've most enjoyed learning the dhamma has definitely not attained stream entry. I wasn't seeking to learn their level of attainment (or lack thereof), it was just casually mentioned during a recent dhamma talk. I now find that I'm thinking about this when I listen to other dhamma talks by this person.

To the point, should a teacher at least be someone suspected to be Sotapanna? Am I wrong to allow this unrequested knowledge of their lack of attainment to affect my view of the person as a teacher? I certainly feel I've learned a lot from their talks, but now I wonder if my time might not have been better invested listening to a teacher "a bit further along the path". Comments? Guidance?

AdvaitaJ
Hello Advaita, all,

These suttas may be of assistance:

Teaching the Dhamma.
The Buddha teaches only dukkha and its cessation: MN 22
The Buddha's simile on ~: SN 22.84
Three frames of reference for becoming a fit teacher: MN 137
Ven. Isidatta wisely declines a teaching invitation from his elders: SN 41.3
How to teach Dhamma: AN 4.111
Meditators and Dhamma scholars: Do not disparage each other!: AN 6.46
Don't teach what you don't know: AN 10.24
The Buddha doesn't hold back any esoteric teachings: DN 16
A skilled teacher is like a ferry-man: Sn 2.8
Dhamma should not be taught for the purpose of material reward: AN 5.159
Five prerequisites to teaching the Dhamma to others: AN 5.159
Teaching alone doesn't mean you're truly committed to the Dhamma: AN 5.73
How to recognize authentic teachings: AN 3.72, AN 7.80, AN 8.53, "Recognizing the Dhamma" (Study Guide)
Examples of lay Dhamma teachers: Anathapindika (AN 10.93); Citta (SN 41.7)
How to choose — and learn from — a teacher: MN 95
How to recognize a teacher: AN 4.192
Three kinds of Dhamma teachers: DN 12
Dhamma teaching compared to medical treatment: AN 3.22
The Buddha asks who is his teacher: Dhp 353
Teacher of the Devas (Jootla)
"How should I teach Buddhism to my children?" (Frequently Asked Question)
Technical Notes (Bullitt)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... l#teaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to recognise a Lay Stream Winner -
AN 5.179 Gihi Sutta: The Householder
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to recognize — and become — a person of integrity
MN 110 Cula-punnama Sutta: The Shorter Discourse on the Full-moon Night
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Tex

Post by Tex »

Aren't monks prohibited in the Vinaya from discussing their attainments with the laity?

If this is correct, wouldn't it be impossible to seek out only monks with particular levels of attainment to learn from?

I've always wondered if this was among the reasons for that rule -- if monks disclosed their attainments, surely all or most of the laity would flock to learn from the ones who have reached sotapanna or beyond, and they might miss out on a chance to learn from a monk who has not yet reached sotapanna but whose teaching style might be better suited to their learning style.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Tex wrote:
I've always wondered if this was among the reasons for that rule.
Good question! The Vinaya is always interested with regards to the origin stories of these rules:
To report, says the Vibhaṅga, means to speak directly of one's own attainments, as explained under Pr 4 — i.e., to claim that the state is present in oneself or that one is present in the state. To speak indirectly of one's own attainments — e.g., "The bhikkhu who lives in this dwelling enters jhāna at will" — entails a dukkaṭa. According to the Commentary, gestures fall under this rule as well. Thus, if a bhikkhu who has attained stream-entry nods when asked by a lay person if he has any noble attainments, his nod would fulfill the factor of effort here. As under Pr 4, the use of idioms to express a superior human attainment would fulfill the factor of effort as well.

The origin story to this rule deals with bhikkhus who, as a tactic for getting almsfood in a time of scarcity, had agreed to speak of one another's superior human states to householders. This would seem to suggest that to speak of another bhikkhu's actual attainment of superior human states with such motives in mind — e.g., hoping to get a share of the increased gains he might receive — should entail a penalty too, but none of the texts mention this point, so it is not an offense. Still, any bhikkhu who plans to act in such a way, on the grounds that whatever is not an offense is perfectly all right, should remember that the Buddha criticized the bhikkhus in the origin story in very strong terms.

Buddhist Monastic Code
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... h08-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

retrofuturist wrote:You could listen to Dhamma Talks from the Buddha... he wasn't just a stream-entrant, he was The Arahant!
Retro,

Right you are, but listening to the Buddha is beyond me. However, I absolutely value reading the suttas and have begun to realize the limitations of not being at least a little more versed in Pali. That's why I still also need someone who's "in the know" on all the inside meanings behind the translated words.

:anjali: AdvaitaJ
Li Bai
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

All,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I would almost certainly be skeptical of anyone who publicly claimed any level of attainment so I can't imagine ever "knowing" about a teacher.

The issue for me is that I now know the opposite. This means that despite years and years of practice and having been ordained in SE Asia, this particular teacher may have missed something along the way and could unintentionally cause my practice to likewise not progress as it might. I am not elderly, but none of us has time to waste! It's probably a poor analogy, but would you want to take pilot lessons from someone who hasn't got their own pilot license?

Regards: AdvaitaJ
Li Bai
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

AdvaitaJ wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:You could listen to Dhamma Talks from the Buddha... he wasn't just a stream-entrant, he was The Arahant!
Retro,

Right you are, but listening to the Buddha is beyond me. However, I absolutely value reading the suttas and have begun to realize the limitations of not being at least a little more versed in Pali. That's why I still also need someone who's "in the know" on all the inside meanings behind the translated words.

:anjali: AdvaitaJ
Your fairy god-Manapa is here to grant you one wish
http://www.suttareadings.net/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi AJ
AdvaitaJ wrote:All,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I would almost certainly be skeptical of anyone who publicly claimed any level of attainment so I can't imagine ever "knowing" about a teacher.

The issue for me is that I now know the opposite. This means that despite years and years of practice and having been ordained in SE Asia, this particular teacher may have missed something along the way and could unintentionally cause my practice to likewise not progress as it might. I am not elderly, but none of us has time to waste! It's probably a poor analogy, but would you want to take pilot lessons from someone who hasn't got their own pilot license?

Regards: AdvaitaJ
I think its important that you have confidence in the person who is teaching you and that you can see for yourself the results of efforts from their instruction - whether it be your efforts, their efforts or the efforts of their students. Some of the references that Chris has listed are excellent in this regard in determining who is a fit and worthy teacher. I actually don't consider a teacher's attainment of stream-entry as important as being able to instruct in a manner that suits you and that is also in concord with the Buddha's teachings. But then, I would never ask that question of anyone teaching Dhamma. Instead, I would be looking at their moral conduct, whether there was any controversy surrounding their character or their teaching, etc. At some point AJ, a good teacher will lead you to become completely independent rather than dependency.
Anyway, they're just my thoughts!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..