Hi from Hawaii

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Mothra

Hi from Hawaii

Post by Mothra »

I'm so glad to have found this place. I only discovered Theravada Buddhism and the Tipitaka a few months ago in my history class. I've always had an interest in Buddhism but was turned off by different aspects of Tibetan and Zen Buddhist books, and visits to the local Shingon temples (I now know these are all Mahayana).

My interest in the Buddha's path to liberation is very urgent. Depression and anxiety plague my life and at various times I've thought freedom could only come from death. Sometimes I have great faith in the Dhamma (or sometimes just awe and joy) but I often give up and return to seeking sensual/intellectual pleasure and self destruction.

I'm about halfway through Bikkhu Bodhi's book "In The Buddha's Words", and it is inspiring but frustrating too. Sometimes I get the feeling like I am watching an expert athlete but am at a stage myself where I still trip over my own feet. It just seems like a long and difficult road ahead to rid myself of years of wrong thinking, habits, and passions.

Anyway sorry for digressing into my whole life story. Hello to you all.
pink_trike

Re: Hi from Hawaii

Post by pink_trike »

Welcome.

Best wishes on the path. One breathe at a time...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Welcome Mothra.

Is your handle inspired by this?

(Anyway, most of us here still trip up, we all still seek comfort in sensual pleasure and all that. But I'd like to think that as followers of the Dhamma we are learning how to relate to these experiences in a healthier manner.)
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mothra,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

I hope you find something useful here.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome and go easy on yourself. May you be happy! May you be free of pain and suffering! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Mothra

Post by Mothra »

zavk wrote:Welcome Mothra.

Is your handle inspired by this?

(Anyway, most of us here still trip up, we all still seek comfort in sensual pleasure and all that. But I'd like to think that as followers of the Dhamma we are learning how to relate to these experiences in a healthier manner.)
Yes that is me in the picture. Sometimes it is hard to type and browse the internet with my insect legs but I manage.
Mothra

Post by Mothra »

Thank you for the kind welcomes.