Attainment as Qualification to Teach?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Attainment as Qualification to Teach?

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:36 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
Chris wrote:Buddhaghosa apparently mentions his desire for a heavenly realm in the epilogue to the Visudhimagga:

Yes, I'm aware that some people have negative views about Buddhagosa and the ancient commentaries but I don't see the relevance to the question of how to choose a teacher.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:48 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Yes, I'm aware that some people have negative views about Buddhagosa and the ancient commentaries but I don't see the relevance to the question of how to choose a teacher.

Hi Mike,

I mentioned how some monks are scholar monks and may not have had much time for practice, but were still very proficient in the Dhamma and attained much merit. Chris asked for a reference for Buddhaghosa wishing only for a heavenly realm and I provided that link-reference.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:02 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:I mentioned how some monks are scholar monks and may not have had much time for practice, but were still very proficient in the Dhamma and attained much merit.

Yes, but presumably those monks don't usually put themselves forward as meditation teachers. Bhikkhu Bohdi doesn't "sell" himself as a meditation instructor, as far as I recall.

To return to the topic: The teachers that I have had personal interaction with who I find particularly helpful are monastics who prepared with years of meditation practise. They have obviously experienced anything I have so far come up against, and so can provide excellent guidance. To me, that's the key, rather than exactly what their attainments are.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Dhammanando » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:39 am

Hi David,

David N. Snyder wrote:Buddhaghosa apparently mentions his desire for a heavenly realm in the epilogue to the Visudhimagga:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhaghosa#Critics

It is Buddhaghosa's editor who expresses a wish to be reborn in heaven and later meet the Buddha Metteyya. Dhammika, like Nyanavira before him, confuses the scribe's colophon with that of Buddhaghosa himself.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:18 am

Dhammanando wrote:It is Buddhaghosa's editor who expresses a wish to be reborn in heaven and later meet the Buddha Metteyya. Dhammika, like Nyanavira before him, confuses the scribe's colophon with that of Buddhaghosa himself.

Hi Bhante,

Okay, thanks! I hope you are around to stay regularly to clear up some of these issues / mistakes! As you can see, you have been missed around here.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Laurens » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:21 pm

I heard Ajahn Jayasaro mention that even being an arahant does not necessarily make one a good teacher, if you aren't the kind of person that can teach people anyway, realising the Dhamma doesn't mean that you would suddenly have the ability to be a great teacher.

I guess this means a good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of where they are on the path.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Laurens wrote:I heard Ajahn Jayasaro mention that even being an arahant does not necessarily make one a good teacher, if you aren't the kind of person that can teach people anyway, realising the Dhamma doesn't mean that you would suddenly have the ability to be a great teacher.

I guess this means a good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of where they are on the path.

Ajahn Chah talks about this in one of the books of his talks also,

It seams to me that there are 3 kinds of Buddha, and all three can be called Arahants.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda