Amaravati

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Cittasanto

Amaravati

Post by Cittasanto »

http://manapa.multiply.com/photos/album/33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
here are some pictures from my trip to Amaravati
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Re: Amaravati

Post by Ben »

Great shots Manapa!
Looks like an amazing monastery.
Thank you for sharing.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

What a beautiful place! Thanks for posting those.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi Manapa,

Thank you for sharing the photos. I spent a day at Amaravati in the summer and I really liked it there, it was very peaceful.

Metta,

Aloka
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Thank you for sharing your impressions. Nice pictures :thumbsup:
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Thank you Manapa. For those who may not know the story the Sangha have taken a former Social Services childrens home and made it a place of great peace and beauty. For the benefit of anyone who lives in or is visiting the UK it is near Hemel Hempstead.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sanghamitta wrote:Thank you Manapa. For those who may not know the story the Sangha have taken a former Social Services childrens home and made it a place of great peace and beauty. For the benefit of anyone who lives in or is visiting the UK it is near Hemel Hempstead.

I think you may find it was a school house

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

But one I think run as a special needs boarding centre by Social Services I think Manapa. :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sanghamitta wrote:But one I think run as a special needs boarding centre by Social Services I think Manapa. :smile:

possibly I have never heard that Before though.

John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

It was what I was told by one of the monks when Amaravati first opened..Of course he might have been wrong.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

this is what I found on Wiki couldm=nt see any info on the site

Amaravati was created in 1984 when the English Sangha Trust purchased a residential school (previously an army base) from Buckinghamshire

John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Im sure that you would agree that it is a place of peace and beauty whatever its origin..

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

3 weeks no slappy fights

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

More photoes posted at the first link of the nuns send off to US

John Stuart Mill