Great Disciples of the Buddha

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Great Disciples of the Buddha

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am

Speaking of 'Dhammic Stories', I have found the publication Great Disciples of the Buddha: their lives, their works & their legacy by Nyaniponika Thera, Hellmuth Hucker and edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi, very inspiring.
The work includes biographical sketches of:
[list=]Sariputta
Mahamoggalana
Mahakassapa
Ananda
Anuruddha
Mahakaccana
Great Women disciples inc:
    Visaka
    Mallika
    Khema
    Bhadda Kundalakesa
    Kisagotami
    Sona
    Nanda
    Queen Samavati
    Patacara
    Ambapali
    Sirima and Uttara
    Isidasi
Angulimala
Anathapindika
Householder Citta
Bhikkhu Citta
Father and Mother Nakula[/list]

Most, if not all may be available from www.accesstoinsight.org.
I highly recommend them.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Great Disciples of the Buddha

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 am

Greetings Ben,

Another book I have read along similar lines is "Relatives and Disciples of the Buddha" by Radhika Abeysekera.

It is also available online to read at http://mail.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/rdbud/rdbud-00.htm

I suspect this one is probably aimed at a slightly younger audience than the one you refer to above, but it's still very readable as an adult.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Great Disciples of the Buddha

Postby sherubtse » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Ben wrote:Speaking of 'Dhammic Stories', I have found the publication Great Disciples of the Buddha: their lives, their works & their legacy by Nyaniponika Thera, Hellmuth Hucker and edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi, very inspiring.

Ben

Yes, it is great book. I have read it several times and throughly enjoy it each time. There is much in it to help a Buddhist live according to the Dhamma. In other words, it has much practical advice and illustrations about how to live one's life, based upon how the great disciples have lived.

With metta,
Sherubtse
sherubtse

Return to Dhammic Stories