[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Your opinion needed

Your opinion needed

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Your opinion needed

Postby Stephen K » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:34 pm

I bought these two Buddha statues a couple of days ago in Athens, and, because I'm not an expert on rupas, I kindly ask for your opinion. Thanks.

This is the big one which I put in my room. It cost 50 euro.

And this is the small one, which I put atop my PC tower in the office. It cost 9 euro.
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Re: Your opinion needed

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:42 pm

you should have dhamma wheel up on your screen! :tongue:
but what opinion would you like shared?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Stephen K » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Manapa wrote:but what opinion would you like shared?

Whether the statues are good and whether the places I put them in are right.
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Postby Annapurna » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Yes, I think the little niche is a good place. One of my Buddhas sits on top of my TV. :smile:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Do you Like them? Do you Like them there?

at the end of the day if they are in the best place to remind you of the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha they are in the right place.

personally I like the one on your tower, not a fan of sparckly rupas prefering plain ones, but it looks realistic and that is what I like about it.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm

I like them both, but prefer the Thai sparklie one. The other has a more Mahayana type look, imo, with the wider body. The sparklie one has the robes with one shoulder off, so appears to definitely be Theravada, but they are all symbols so the other is good too.

I would put the Thai looking one in a slightly safer place. Perhaps still on the tower, but on a small cloth, instead of books. But it is up to you, of course. :smile:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:09 pm

I would second Davids post Stefan.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Stephen K » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks - that's the kind of opinion I was looking for. :smile:
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:26 pm

just make sure you have them where they wont fall and break. other than that, great!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Ben » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Nice rupas, Stefan!
As per David's comments.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Stephen K » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks Ben!
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Postby BudSas » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:37 am

Both 2 rupas are nice. Not sure if the sparklie one is a Thai one, because the robe with flowers all over seems odd to me! :smile:

My humble suggestion (perhaps somewhat conservative/orthodox): Re-arrange the shelf in your bedroom, above the triangular niche, and place the sparklie there. It's safer than to place it on top of your PC tower, and its place is also at a higher, more respectful position.

BDS
BudSas

Return to Shrine Room