Your opinion needed

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Lombardi4

Your opinion needed

Post by Lombardi4 »

I bought these two Buddha statues a couple of days ago in Athens, and, because I'm not an expert on rupas, I kindly ask for your opinion. Thanks.

This is the big one which I put in my room. It cost 50 euro.

And this is the small one, which I put atop my PC tower in the office. It cost 9 euro.
Cittasanto

Re: Your opinion needed

Post by Cittasanto »

you should have dhamma wheel up on your screen! :tongue:
but what opinion would you like shared?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Manapa wrote: but what opinion would you like shared?
Whether the statues are good and whether the places I put them in are right.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Yes, I think the little niche is a good place. One of my Buddhas sits on top of my TV. :smile:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Do you Like them? Do you Like them there?

at the end of the day if they are in the best place to remind you of the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha they are in the right place.

personally I like the one on your tower, not a fan of sparckly rupas prefering plain ones, but it looks realistic and that is what I like about it.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I like them both, but prefer the Thai sparklie one. The other has a more Mahayana type look, imo, with the wider body. The sparklie one has the robes with one shoulder off, so appears to definitely be Theravada, but they are all symbols so the other is good too.

I would put the Thai looking one in a slightly safer place. Perhaps still on the tower, but on a small cloth, instead of books. But it is up to you, of course. :smile:
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I would second Davids post Stefan.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thanks - that's the kind of opinion I was looking for. :smile:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

just make sure you have them where they wont fall and break. other than that, great!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice rupas, Stefan!
As per David's comments.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thanks Ben!
BudSas

Post by BudSas »

Both 2 rupas are nice. Not sure if the sparklie one is a Thai one, because the robe with flowers all over seems odd to me! :smile:

My humble suggestion (perhaps somewhat conservative/orthodox): Re-arrange the shelf in your bedroom, above the triangular niche, and place the sparklie there. It's safer than to place it on top of your PC tower, and its place is also at a higher, more respectful position.

BDS