Confidence and Stream-Entry: Which comes first?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
AdvaitaJ

Confidence and Stream-Entry: Which comes first?

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Greetings All,

I've been scanning various suttas and haven't been able to find any yet to clarify this question; does a person gain total confidence in the teachings of the Buddha because of what happens during stream-entry or, must a person already have complete confidence in the Buddha to attain stream-entry?
:anjali:
AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
Ben

Re: Confidence and Stream-Entry: Which comes first?

Post by Ben »

Hi AJ
As one progresses, so does one's confidence.
The experience of stream entry is the experience of Nibbana. Because of experiencing Nibbana, one's confidence is said to be unshakable.
I'm sorry, I don't have a sutta reference for you at the moment but I think the following is of value.

From A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma, edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi:
Path consciousness of stream-entry (sotapatti-maggacitta): The entry upon the irreversible path to liberation is called stream-entry, and the citta that experiences this attainment is the path consciousness of stream-entry. The stream (sota) is the Noble Eightfold Path, with its eight factors of right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration. As the current of the Ganges flows uninterrupted from the Himalayas to the ocean, so the supramundane Noble Eightfold Path flows uninterrupted from the arising of right view to the attainment of Nibbana.
Though the factors of the eightfold path may arise in the mundane wholesome cittas of virtuous worldlings, these factors are not fixed in their destination, since a worldling may change character and turn away from the Dhamma. But a noble disciple who has reached the experience of stream-entry, the path factors become fixed in destiny, and flow like a stream leading to Nibbana.
The path consciousness of stream-entry has the function of cutting off the first three fetters – ‘personality view’ or wrong views of self, doubt about the Triple Gem, and clinging to rites and ceremonines and the belief that they can lead to liberation. It further cuts off all greed, hatred and delusion strong enough to lead to a sub-human rebirth. This citta also permanently eliminates five other cittas, namely, the four cittas rooted in greed associated with wrong view, and the citta rooted in delusion associated with doubt. One who has undergone the experience of stream-entry is assured of reaching final deliverance in a maximum of seven lives, and of never being reborn in any of the woeful planes of existence.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello AJ, all,

Have a look at the Suttas under this heading at Access to Insight:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... tml#stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Particularly:
Why doubt does not arise in a stream-winner: AN 7.51
The kind of conviction and discernment required to attain ~: SN 35.1-10
What it takes for a layperson to become a stream-winner: AN 10.92
How to recognize — and become — a person of integrity: MN 110

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello AJ,

You may also be interested in two audio files by Christopher Titmuss.

On a recent 10 day Retreat with Patrick Kearney, during the interview period after reporting on how my meditation was going, I asked questions about the difficulty or otherwise of becoming a Stream Enterer ~ which is the only safety from an unfortunate rebirth. He suggested I may benefit from listening to these two audio files by Christopher:

09 Who is a Stream Enterer 2008 Mar.08 - Germany 54:30 min

11 What does it mean to enter the stream 2008 Apr.08 - Israel 61:50 min
http://www.christophertitmuss.org/index ... _downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Chris,

Thanks for the links. I'd read most, if not all of them, and have still been unable to discern an answer to my main question. I'm downloading the talks recommended now and will listen to them over the next few days or so. :thanks:

Ben,

There is a portion in the quote you provided that is tantalyzingly close:
But a noble disciple who has reached the experience of stream-entry, the path factors become fixed in destiny, and flow like a stream leading to Nibbana.
The quote says "...has reached..." past tense. I'm thinking this says that a person has the experience of stream-entry -- and that experience is what removes all doubt, etc. This is in opposition to first obtain all the qualities of a stream-enterer, including the removal of all doubt, in order to then achieve stream-entry.

Kind regards: AdvaitaJ
Li Bai
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi AJ
AdvaitaJ wrote:The quote says "...has reached..." past tense. I'm thinking this says that a person has the experience of stream-entry -- and that experience is what removes all doubt, etc. This is in opposition to first obtain all the qualities of a stream-enterer, including the removal of all doubt, in order to then achieve stream-entry.

Kind regards: AdvaitaJ
I am not so familiar with the relevant suttas, abhidhamma to be able to answer this off the top of my head and I am not a pali scholar so I can't give you a definitive answer. What I tend to think is that whether the removal of doubt is before or after or coincides with attaining sotapatti, the events happen so rapidly that it is - sort of - academic. I don't mean that your line of enquiry is irrelevant! If I get time tonight - I hope to do some research and uncover what I can find out for you. In the meantime, perhaps some of our more learned friends, hopefully Ajahn Dhammanando is online, and they can offer an explanation.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Dugu

Post by Dugu »

This is my own reasoning. When one puts his foot into a river, which comes first? The fact he knows the river is cold or the fact his foot is in the river?
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

AdvaitaJ wrote: Ben,

There is a portion in the quote you provided that is tantalyzingly close:
But a noble disciple who has reached the experience of stream-entry, the path factors become fixed in destiny, and flow like a stream leading to Nibbana.
The quote says "...has reached..." past tense. I'm thinking this says that a person has the experience of stream-entry -- and that experience is what removes all doubt, etc. This is in opposition to first obtain all the qualities of a stream-enterer, including the removal of all doubt, in order to then achieve stream-entry.
Hi AdvaitaJ,

Don't know whether this will help or not, but I will endeavor to describe the moment that I knew unequivocally that I was established on the Path.

I had been reading Bhikkhu Bodhi's The Noble Eightfold Path, Way to the End of Suffering, as well as contemplating several subjects covered in Walpola Rahula's What The Buddha Taught, when one afternoon I had a sudden and dramatic realization about the path and what I needed to do. I could see the intelligence in the design of the Noble Eightfold Path and how it would develop a person on the path (through a practice in sila, samadhi, and panna). I was able to see (literally in my mind's eye) how this was possible and immediately became established in the path. I KNEW that this was the path that I must tread if I wanted to reach that "peace which passes all understanding," i.e. nibbana. And I could see that the training involved in following the N8P was the mechanism for achieving this end goal. Right in that moment all DOUBT about the Buddha's teaching was extinguished in me, and I became a "warrior" in my effort to tread the path — that is, I was not going to let anything stop me or slow me down until I was able to achieve that end. It ignited a fire underneath me that is indescribable and which continued to burn fiercely until I finally was able to achieve the goal. Believe me, if anything like that ever occurs with you, you won't need anyone else's opinion on the matter. You will KNOW it to the depth of your being!
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Interesting. Very much so. Your experience may be just what you seem to imply that it is, but in the end, the experience is just more stuff to let go.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

All,

For me, the significance of the question is whether or not stream-entry is possible before having "unshakable faith" in all the teachings. I feel I have a high degree of confidence in the teachings thus far, but I also have a reasonable level of doubt in some of the teachings. The point being whether or not, according to the suttas, there is even the possibility of an "event" that would remove all doubts.

:shrug: AdvaitaJ
Li Bai
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi AJ
I have not forgotten your enquiry and will attempt to find an answer for you asap.
metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

AdvaitaJ wrote:All,

For me, the significance of the question is whether or not stream-entry is possible before having "unshakable faith" in all the teachings. I feel I have a high degree of confidence in the teachings thus far, but I also have a reasonable level of doubt in some of the teachings. The point being whether or not, according to the suttas, there is even the possibility of an "event" that would remove all doubts.

AdvaitaJ
I would think they arise together. Anyway, that is how I understand it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

This may be of assistance:

Qualities of Ariya Persons
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/ariyas4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Ben,

Thank you, but you're certainly under no obligation. I'm delighted with whatever information I can glean here and you're always among the first to help. :bow:

Tilt,

That would certainly get my vote since it suggests that stream-entry is possible even with preceding doubt.

Chris,

Cool chart! :thumbsup: However, the question remains whether 1) doubts preclude the possibility of stream entry or 2) if it is the event of stream entry that eradicates all doubts.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
Li Bai
Ben

Post by Ben »

No problem AJ
I'm just having difficulty at the moment locating it at home. I spent some time last night trying to find the book but perhaps its been misplaced somewhere. The search continues!
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725