If a person lost the will to live, how do you help them?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Dugu

If a person lost the will to live, how do you help them?

Post by Dugu »

My friend is going through some hard time right now and she told me today she doesn't want to live anymore. She's going to be 50 and she suffering from loneliness. Besides telling her to seek professional help (which she has before), is there a Buddhist solution to this problem?
jcsuperstar

Re: If a person lost the will to live, how do you help them?

Post by jcsuperstar »

is she Buddhist?

but a good way to get over yourself is to care about something or someone else
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

jcsuperstar wrote:is she Buddhist?

She's not. She was a Christian at one point.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

be there for her and listen
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

Manapa wrote:be there for her and listen
I have.. it's been slowly spiraling down since last year.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Dugu wrote:

see a Buddhist answer is probably not going to work then.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

have you talked to her? I mean actually talk, share your life with her
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

jcsuperstar wrote:
Dugu wrote:

see a Buddhist answer is probably not going to work then.
What did you have in mind? Never know, it might help her.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

all i know is that when i was super low in life, and i mean low. some of what helped me was other people being around, comedy, lots of comedy, its pretty hard to feel down when youre laughing your head off, and goals, any kind of goals, although i would stay away from the type of goals that are easy to fail at as that is just going to reinforce any negative views. fixation on the self that is hurting isn't going to do much good, just remind her you don't have to believe everything you think. but cognitive dissidence can be a good thing, just remember the mind cant think two different things at once, thats why the comedy helps, and the goals help, your mind is fixated on funny not sad, a better future not the dreary past etc.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Do metta meditation for her.

As much as you can, depending on how much you care.

Also related Tonglen practice may be good. http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/tonglen1.php

_/|\_
_/|\_
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Dugu wrote:My friend is going through some hard time right now and she told me today she doesn't want to live anymore. She's going to be 50 and she suffering from loneliness. Besides telling her to seek professional help (which she has before), is there a Buddhist solution to this problem?
Loneliness is epidemic among older people in our modern society. Older people have very little value in a consumer culture unless they have buckets of disposal cash. This is one of the uglier realities of modern life - older people are disposable and invisible.

You might gently and casually plant the seed that being alone can be an opportunity to get to know oneself better...sort of a "time out" from a busy world - something that most people don't have time for. Often people are lonely because they've never met themselves at any level of depth...they are often perfect strangers to themselves, having molded themselves to external factors all their life. Maybe you can find a way to suggest that there is a whole universe to explore within.

Invite her to hang out in the lounge here. :smile:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Dugu wrote:My friend is going through some hard time right now and she told me today she doesn't want to live anymore. She's going to be 50 and she suffering from loneliness. Besides telling her to seek professional help (which she has before), is there a Buddhist solution to this problem?
Hello Dugu,

Does she have any friends or family who may not realise she is hurting?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

That is a tough question. I guess what I would do is show that person kindness and generousity, I would do my best to bring them joy and show them the other side of things, hopefully that would lift their spirits. Let them truely know that you care for them, it might be all that they need.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

Manapa wrote:have you talked to her? I mean actually talk, share your life with her
Yes, on many occasions. She knows the many struggles I have overcome. She knows I am a Buddhist and I have shared Dharma talks with her. She's beginning to understand the Noble Truths, but she just can't cope at the moment and her mind constantly dwells in the past and worries about the future. It is hardly in the present.
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

jcsuperstar wrote:all i know is that when i was super low in life, and i mean low. some of what helped me was other people being around, comedy, lots of comedy, its pretty hard to feel down when youre laughing your head off, and goals, any kind of goals, although i would stay away from the type of goals that are easy to fail at as that is just going to reinforce any negative views. fixation on the self that is hurting isn't going to do much good, just remind her you don't have to believe everything you think. but cognitive dissidence can be a good thing, just remember the mind cant think two different things at once, thats why the comedy helps, and the goals help, your mind is fixated on funny not sad, a better future not the dreary past etc.
Yes I agree. I have encourage her to get out of the house more often.