Question about a passage on D.O. re: human birth

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Tex

Question about a passage on D.O. re: human birth

Post by Tex »

Hope this is the appropriate sub-forum for this, if not please move.

Please have a look at the following quote from a passage explaining D.O. and tell me what you think, from this link:

http://buddhanet.net/e-learning/depend.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And specifically found in the section titled "3rd Link: CONSCIOUSNESS (vinnana)":
This relinking consciousness may be of different qualities, according to the kamma upon which it depends. In the case of all those who read this, the consciousness "leaping" into a new birth at the time of conception, was a human relinking consciousness arising as a result of having practiced at least the Five Precepts, the basis of "humanness" in past lives.
Am I reading this right? This seems to be stating that "all" humans attain human birth because they practiced "at least the five precepts" in a previous life. I understand that practicing the Dhamma leads to fortunate rebirth, but is it the only way to a human birth?

I realize that I'm touching on an imponderable here, but if it is the case that "practicing the five precepts" is a necessary condition for a human rebirth, as this seems to imply, then how would anyone ever be born human for the first time with the first chance to hear and practice the Dhamma?

I'm sure I'm missing something here, any help on this?...
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
jcsuperstar

Re: Question about a passage on D.O. re: human birth

Post by jcsuperstar »

well one doesnt have to take the 5 to follow the 5

theyre just basic morals/ethics all cultures, religions, have them
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Tex,
Tex wrote:Am I reading this right? This seems to be stating that "all" humans attain human birth because they practiced "at least the five precepts" in a previous life. I understand that practicing the Dhamma leads to fortunate rebirth, but is it the only way to a human birth?
No, Khantipalo is over-simplifying. A relinking consciousness in the human realm will be due to some meritorious formation, of which sīla is just one example.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Tex

Post by Tex »

Thank you, Bhante.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus