giving someone alcohol - breach of sila?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
acinteyyo

Re: giving someone alcohol - breach of sila?

Post by acinteyyo »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Yes, I definitely agree but Venerable's reply to Stefan got me worried that even in doing my best I may be unintentionally committing akusala kamma.
Hi Mike,

you can not commit akusala kamma (unwholesome action) unintentionally.
Anguttara VI,vi,9
Cetanāham bhikkhave kammam vadāmi; cetayitvā kammam karoti kāyena vācāya manasā.
Action, monks, I say is intention; intending, one does action by body, by speech, by mind.
Action (kamma) is intention (cetanā). When there is no intention there is no kamma.
Khalil Bodhi wrote:I'll just work on guarding my own sila as best as I know how
What else can you do? Don't worry, doing your best is enough.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

acinteyyo wrote:you can not commit akusala kamma (unwholesome action) unintentionally.
I wonder if using the wrong word unintentionally is unwholesome kamma? :juggling:

Presumably, Mike meant "unknowingly." In which case, one can easily commit unwholesome kamma — that is one may do something, believing it to be wholesome or at least blameless, while it is, in fact, unwholesome, e.g. mercy-killing, etc.

Some people are too scrupulous, and worry about nothing, but it is good to reflect on one's actions, before, during, and after doing them, to consider whether they were skilful or not.
Mahāsi Sayādaw wrote:We now come to the subject of vinaya kukkucca. Doubt may arise concerning certain matters relevant to the rules of discipline (vinaya). Sceptical doubt arises as to whether it is right or wrong, proper or improper, regarding one’s own actions, or the use of requisites. When such doubt occurs, it will not yet reach the stage of committing an offence. This kind of doubt is relevant to the rule of discipline. It is therefore regarded as an attribute that all monks should possess. Yet some monks pay no heed to any such doubt that might occur. In the absence of any such doubt or hesitation, they may give do a misdeed that amounts to contravening the rules of discipline. These monks will not have purity of mind or morality. Without reflecting on the propriety or impropriety of any such acts, they may do anything they like regardless of the rules of discipline laid down for monks.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Bhante,

That was exactly my concern. I would appreciate any advice you may have about further sharpening my discernment in regard to sila. Thank you again. :anjali:

Mike :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I cannot think of any better advice that the Ambalatthika Rāhulovāda Sutta
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

I avoid giving alcohol, - just not to support intoxication of others.