New book... ('A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma')

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ashtanga

New book... ('A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma')

Post by ashtanga »

Hi all,

I have just received my copy of 'A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma' by Bikkhu Bodhi.

...I've heard a lot about it so I guess I've made a good choice?

Tony...
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed for clarity
retrofuturist

Re: New book...

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tony,
ashtanga wrote:...I've heard a lot about it so I guess I've made a good choice?
If you want a summary of the commentarial understanding of the Abhidhamma dhamma theory, then this seems like your best bet.

Whether that's what you're after will determine whether it's a good choice or not! :tongue:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Re: New book... ('A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma')

Post by Ben »

Hi Tony
I think its very excellent. It can be hard to read and follow and after reading it through, I tend to use it now as a reference. Bhikkhu Bodhi's explanatory text really makes the book worthwhile.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kare

Post by Kare »

I agree. The book is excellent. But read it slowly, go back and reread a chapter now and then, and try to load the stuff into your mental harddisc. The more you are able to internalize it, the better it will be understood. Use the book as a tool kit for understanding your own mind. Enjoy! :twothumbsup:
Mettāya,
Kåre
ashtanga

Post by ashtanga »

Thanks, I have been stuygin Emptiness in the Tibetan Tradition for many years so the subject matter shouldn't be too unfamiliar - I am looking forward to seeing the Theravadin take on Emptiness - which I understand is more to do with Dependent Origination rather than conceptualising Emptiness per se.

Tony...
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

ashtanga wrote:Thanks, I have been stuygin Emptiness in the Tibetan Tradition for many years so the subject matter shouldn't be too unfamiliar - I am looking forward to seeing the Theravadin take on Emptiness - which I understand is more to do with Dependent Origination rather than conceptualising Emptiness per se.

Tony...
I think that you'll find that later Theravadin Abhidhamma and late Tibetan Sunyavada are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum in a number of ways. One could probably read one of the two into the other, but it may be forced and do rather an injustice to that which loses out.

For instance, what is "paramartha"?

These two streams of Buddhist thought basically parted ways about 1000 yrs before the Abhidhammasamgaha and a lot of Tibetan material.

Good luck!
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Yes, they were some of the concerns that I thought of when I saw the potential paramattha / emptiness conflict.

Either way the process will be a good eye opener.

:shock:

Thanks as always for sharing your perspectives.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
ashtanga

Post by ashtanga »

Yes, they were some of the concerns that I thought of when I saw the potential paramattha / emptiness conflict.
Uh Ho... :thinking:

Go on, give me a clue of what the conflic is...I'm curious.

Tony...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings ashtanga,

Well, there may be conflict, there may not... it depends.

As venerable Paññāsikhara suggested, it will depend on what you understand the term "paramattha" (sometimes translated as, 'ultimate realities') to mean, and whether you think that is consistent with sunnata.

This PDF explains it well...

The Dhamma Theory: Philosophical Cornerstone of the Abhidhamma by Prof. Dr. Y. Karunadasa
http://www.zeh-verlag.de/download/dhammatheory.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must admit personally to being influenced in this matter by...

SN 12.15 - Kaccayanagotta Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In particular, this bit.
"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one."
Metta,
ckatgo

Post by ckatgo »

Greetings!

I have this book, I have to admit it looks pretty technical but I am excited to get started on it and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about it.

Metta,
Kat :buddha2:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

SN 12.15 wrote:"when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one."
My reaction to this is similar to Neo's reaction when he sees Morpheous in the jump program leap from rooftop to rooftop:
Neo wrote:Whoa.