is music a hindrance to the jhanas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

is music a hindrance to the jhanas?

Post by Lombardi4 »

"...quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful (mental) qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana..." (SN 45.8)

Is listening to music, being a sensual indulgence, a hindrance to attaining the first jhana?

In other words, if I want to attain jhana, should I stop listening to music?
Ben

Re: is music a hindrance to the jhanas?

Post by Ben »

Hi Stefan
If you want to attain jhana then you should cultivate perfect sila and it is best to remove yourself and live in seclusion, quite withdrawn from sensuality while undertaking the work of developing concentration. Its a matter of practicality that if you are serious about jhana then having your mind distracted by this or that sensual entertainment or pleasure is going to be a hindrance. Within the retreat centres of the Goenka tradition, there is an embargo on students bringing with them music players and musical instruments as well as books and pen and paper. Students are instructed to maintain 'noble silence' with the attitude of practice as though they were the only people at the centre.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thanks Ben. :smile:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Stefan wrote:
In other words, if I want to attain jhana, should I stop listening to music?
Ben's advice is to the point, but don't torture yourself with stopping listening to music. All of this depends upon what you are trying to do. Why jhanas? (Rhetorically.) Probably more important, maybe, is cultivating mindfulness.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Stefan,

I've been a music fan for 40 years, but I now have trouble "turning the music off". I've found that I usually have tunes stuck in my head when I awake or when my mindfulness is at low ebb. Will music stop you from attaining the jhanas? I'd say that depends on how strong your ability to concentrate has become. I've found that my years of computer programming have sustained my ability to concentrate and I count myself quite lucky in that regard. Had I been in some other occupation, not as demanding of concentration as programming, well...

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
Emi

Post by Emi »

So does this mean that 'meditation music' is a big no-no? Disregarding separate people's abilities, is it theoretically impossible to remain mindful whilst having music on in the background?
My experience tells otherwise. Sometimes, a quiet, lengthy track helps me focus, and keep my mind where it should be, rather than listening to the creaks of the house and wondering what it was!

Is it just me? :shrug:
"When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around."
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Craving for music is a type of craving for sensual pleasure.
This is the first of the five hindrances to jhana.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
BudSas

Post by BudSas »

Paññāsikhara wrote:Craving for music is a type of craving for sensual pleasure.
Dear Bhante,

How do you think of melodious chanting often seen at some Buddhist temples? Would you see it as a form of music, and if so, would it be considered as a hindrance?

BDS
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

BudSas wrote:
Dear Bhante,

How do you think of melodious chanting often seen at some Buddhist temples? Would you see it as a form of music, and if so, would it be considered as a hindrance?

BDS
Note the use of the word "craving". :sage:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
BudSas

Post by BudSas »

Paññāsikhara wrote: Note the use of the word "craving". :sage:
:smile: Thanks

BDS
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I can definately see how it would be. I don't meditate to attain Jhana personally, but even so I find having music stuck in my head to be a great distraction on occaison.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

That's exactly what my OP implied. So, to ask again, can jhana be attained while not having given up music?
phil

Post by phil »

Stefan wrote:
That's exactly what my OP implied. So, to ask again, can jhana be attained while not having given up music?
In my opinion Titbillings (?) hinted at something important. If there is even a question about whether the brain tingling pleasure to be gained from listening to music is comparable to the bliss obtained in deep concentration, maybe jhanas are quite far away and needn't be the goal for now? I imagine people who have the conditions to develop jhanas would have already dropped the need to get pleasure from music. (That's just guessing, maybe completely wrong.) So the fact that there is enough craving for music to lead you to ask this question indicates maybe that seeking jhanas is not a realistic option now? Just some thoughts to chew over, I don't know if there is any value in them and I trust they won't discourage you from seeking jhanas if you know that is your way. :smile:

Metta,

Phil

p.s I personally believe there is great benefit in practicing samattha even far short of the jhanas, the stilling of the mind is beneficial to any degree that it occurs, I think. That cooling down of the fires of greed, hatred and delusion is valuable to any degree....
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Stefan wrote:
While sensual craving is present, there is no jhana.
So, one could conceivably listen to music, and then at some other time, enter jhana.
The problem is, the way the mind works, the sensual desire almost leaves a kind of residue in the mind.
Even when the object of desire is not there, one may still arise thoughts of desire for it.
It may take some time to abandon this desire for a suitable continuous period so as to develop jhana.

It is a lot like drug addiction. (Remember, the "outflows" (asava) have been translated as "drugs" before.)
Addiction does not mean that one is 24/7 involved with the drug.
But it does mean that the craving is almost always there, at least in subtle form.
Even when one is not using it, that craving is still there.
Even when one tries to quit that drug, it is still there.
It does not just instantly go away.
One needs a kind of long term program to abandon craving for that drug.
During that program, even contact with the drug is risky, it may arouse thoughts and memories, that in turn lead to indulgence again.
Once one has totally abandoned craving for it, then one could be around the drug - though not use the drug - and not be effected.

Such are sensual cravings and pleasures.