Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
nomad

Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

Post by nomad »

My mother, a devout Christian, has recently shown an interest in my study of Buddhism. She asked if I had any books to loan her so that she could learn more about what it is that I believe and practice. I have a few hard-copy books, but I am afraid that they may not be what she is looking for. I was thinking about giving her “Being Nobody, Going Nowhere” and “Who is My Self?”, but I am wondering if that would help her at all. I think that she just wants an understanding of her son’s faith and is not looking to transition anytime soon. Do you guys think that these would be good books to give or would you recommend something else? I would prefer to stay away from e-books because her knowledge of computers is extremely limited.

Thanks,
With Metta

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
Ben

Re: Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

Post by Ben »

Hi Nomad
Perhaps you may wish to download and print the following excellent publications:
-- The Noble Eightfold Path The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- Buddhism in a Nutshell by Narada Mahathera: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... shell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- Frequently Asked Questions About Buddhism by John T. Bullitt: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... /bfaq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

There are several books that attempt to "bridge the divide" between Buddhism and Christianity.

Thich Nhat Hahn's books "Living Buddha, Living Chris" and "Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers" come to mind.

_/|\_
_/|\_
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

'Do they though Dan74 ? I would not recommend them to a Christian. I think they are neither one thing or the other, but a syncretic mix of both.

I would go along with Ben's suggestion.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Thich Nhat Hanh's Old Path White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha is also an excellent and readable introduction for beginners.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I disagree. And I dont want to get all pedantic here but this subforum is called "Discovering THERAVADA ". I would guess that maybe the op posted here with conscious deliberation.

:anjali:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

How about something really old fashioned?
A copy of the Dhammapada, where all the words are translated into English.

One doesn't have to read it cover to cover,
but can pick it up at any point, muse over some of the verses,
and go about one's day.

* ie. not even a "brahmin" or "arhat" to speak of.

That is timeless wisdom that I think anybody can relate too.
And it's 100% Dhamma, too.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Good idea Ven. Judging from the number of times and the wide variety of contexts The Dhammapada is quoted it clearly has a wide appeal.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Sanghamitta wrote:I dont want to get all pedantic here but this subforum is called "Discovering THERAVADA".
Agreed.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:I dont want to get all pedantic here but this subforum is called "Discovering THERAVADA".
Agreed.
True. But making such a fine distinction, ie. Theravada, and not some other tradition, in the light of a mother who is a "devout Christian", maybe asking too much. Probably, anything that points out basic notions of Buddhism such as the three jewels, the law of kamma and its relation to dissatisfaction that everyone experiences, and the methods of morality, meditation and insight to overcome that, will already be more than enough! Maybe by book #5, if things get that far, distinctions such as "Theravada" may be made.

Also, given that the Theravada still clearly shows its vis-a-vis theistic Brahmanism, even in modern forms - partly because the Hindu traditions are so strong in much of South Asia, make sure you don't have anything that is too rapidly "There is NO creator God in Buddhism!!!" These are sometimes quite common, particularly from the Sri Lankans (in the face of the Hindu traditions just over the water, and now centuries of Catholic and Protestant oppression). You don't want to scare your old mother into thinking that you are an atheistic heathen! (Even if you are! :P )
Last edited by Paññāsikhara on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Greetings Sanghamitta/Mawkish,

the author is a Mahayana teacher and that may influence his writings to a certain degree. I don't doubt that. The book is a recollection (in form of a novel) of the Buddha's life and the most important teachings (the four noble truths, the eightfold path, dependent origination etc.) he gave throughout his life. Isn't that what Theravada is about? The book's primary sources are the pali suttas and chinese agamas. Those are the two oldest sources we have, aren't they? Of couse, I don't remember every word but I can't also remeber any contradiction with a Theravada point-of-view. What this book doesn't provide, is a historic account of how and why the different schools of Buddhism were established and what distinguishes one school from another and what makes Theravada unique, but I didn't understand the op's question in this way.

With metta :anjali:
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I know if I were going to give my mother 1 book to read on what my religion is, it wouldn't be a Mahayana one. No offence to Mahayana intended of course, but it's not the religion I follow, so it wouldn't fulfill the intended purpose of letting her know more about my beliefs and practices etc.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

That was rather my view Retro. It wasnt anti anything, it was pro Theravada.

Bhikku Bodhi.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Perhaps it is best we let the OP clarify what his preferences are. If it is indeed to strictly introduce his/her mother to Theravada then I think Ben makes some good suggestions.

But like some others before me, I don't find those books by Thich Nhat Hanh overly Mahayana-ish. He talks a lot about mindfulness in his books about Buddhism and Christianity. In fact, from what I recall his understanding of mindfulness does draw heavily on Theravadin ideas, particularly the Anapanasati Sutta. His books also foreground lovingkindness and compassion, which seems to me are themes that a devout Christian would easily identify with.

One could object that those themes in Thich Nhat Hanh's book are easily found in Theravadin texts. That could very well be the case, but I think it's best we let the OP decide. Just making suggestions here..... not imposing or trumpeting any particular views or anything like that.

EDIT: Another reason I suggest TNH's book is because of his gentle style of writing. This style of writing doesn't go down well with some of us here on DW but I think it might resonate with a devout Christian who (I assume) is more accustomed to that tone of writing than the analytical style of some, although certainly not all, Theravadin texts--the collection of Ajahn Chah's teachings, for example, is very accessible.
With metta,
zavk
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I take your point zavk. But if. just for example, I wanted to introduce someone to Zen, I personally wouldnt post on a Theravadin website asking for recommendations. And I most definately would not post on a Zen website asking for pointers towards reading material on the Theravada.

Bhikku Bodhi.