Swine Flu prevention - some simple measures

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Re: Swine Flu prevention - some simple measures

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Annabel wrote:We've had the second person getting an allergic shock from it...

Anybody over in UK, USA or Australia?
Allergic shock to the vaccine? The person giving me my vaccine said that I may experience flu-like symptoms within a couple of days. I did. Had the day off work.

That's not quite 'allergic shock' though. :)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The programme has now rolled out to several million people in the UK. So far no reports of major reactions. For those with egg allergies an alternative vaccine is available to the one which is cultivated using eggs as ther medium. In the UK the epidemic is slowing, due in part to the vaccination programme.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I think the simplest measure one can take is this:

Don't be afriad.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Dont be afraid of the vaccine either.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Annabel wrote:We've had the second person getting an allergic shock from it...

Anybody over in UK, USA or Australia?
Allergic shock to the vaccine? The person giving me my vaccine said that I may experience flu-like symptoms within a couple of days. I did. Had the day off work.

That's not quite 'allergic shock' though. :)

Metta,
Retro. :)
Yes, Paul, anaphylactic shock. You have about 80-90 seconds after it starts to give cortison or whatever is necessarry to prevent death.

We've also had at least 2 casualties after vaccination. I haven't caught the news regularly though.

There was also a batch of vaccine called back in Canada I believe when more people showed allergic reactions.

We had a TV late night talkmaster moderate his show from home, after he was diagnosed with swine flu...occasionlly he caughed a little.

Metta,

Anna
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Sanghamitta wrote:Dont be afraid of the vaccine either.
The point I was making is that Swine Flu has been blown out of proportion by the media - it has died down somewhat in recent months, but a while ago it was all over the news. The might as well have had a pale man, sweating and shaking on our screens repeatedly saying "We're all going to die! We're all going to die!" Its all just sensationalism, probably trying to take our minds off the dire state of the economy for a while.

No one I have encountered has suffered with Swine Flu, and in many cases I have heard about, people just had flu like symptoms and recovered very quickly. No one I know ever had Bird Flu either, or SARS. Whilst I admit it is important to look out for one's own health, its also important not to get swept up in mass hysteria. Many elderly people die from regular flu every year (not to mention all the countless other diseases and ailments!), as do many with weak immune systems etc. It's those people who we need to look out for. The rest of us don't have a huge amount to worry about.

To me it just seems completely like the media have whipped up a frenzy over this. Of course I don't wish Swine Flu upon anyone and I hope all those suffering with it recover swiftly and healthily, and I don't deny that in some cases Swine Flu is a huge risk. However it is not a huge risk to every single person in the whole wide world as it is portrayed to be in the media and I don't think it should be feared to such a high degree.

Personally I would be more weary of getting the vaccine myself (if I were to fear anything in this scenario), not least untill I knew exactly what was in it. After the media creating all this hype they could have anything in those syringes and we would gladly roll up our sleeves... Not wanting to sound like a conspiracist or anything :?
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Some Swine Flu facts.
As at 26/11 Swine flu deaths in the UK stand at 245, with more expected if the second wave hits after Christmas. A large proportion of those deaths are not in fact older people , they are young people. Pregnant women seem to be hit particularly hard by the virus witha UK total of 23 otherwise healthy pregnant women dying as a result of the virus.

In addition to the deaths most large hospitals in late October early November were stretched to the limit of their capacity in terms of staff, both nurses and doctors.
Most large hospitals were having to postpone urgent surgery, and their Intensive Care Units were filled to capacity.
There has been a lessening of new cases due in no small part it is assumed because of the vaccination programme. The take up has been very high, particularly among NHS staff who are traditionally reluctant to avail themselves of the seasonal flu jabs.

Even when a particular subject has mild symptoms there is a risk of passing on the virus to more vulnerable people including pregnant women.
So far there are NO reports of major reactions to the vaccine offered in the UK.
All figures taken from the latest (26/11 ) stats from the DHSS.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Sanghamitta wrote:Some Swine Flu facts.
As at 26/11 Swine flu deaths in the UK stand at 245
Which is minimal compared to the amount of people that die of seasonal flu each year:
Every year, around 8,000 people die from seasonal flu-related complications during the winter months in England and Wales.
Source:
http://www.bexleypct.nhs.uk/ngen_public ... t=&oaid=38

245 seems like a lot but when put in perspective it is not that large.

I do not wish to seem cold, as I do sincerely wish that all beings affected come away healthy and unharmed. However I stand by my sentiment that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion by the media.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Laurens I think you might be missing the main thrust of this. The numbers of people dying from seasonal flu reflect what happens to the elderly population with underlying health concerns. What is different about Swine Flu is that a high proprotion of those dying are YOUNG. Being older actually confers a degree of immunity to this particular virus. We had two more deaths of fit young people in the hospital I manage last week. In addition to the deaths a sizeable proportion of younger people contacting the disease are hospitalised and remain ill for several weeks. This represents a huge drain on NHS resources, and is easily preventable.
And this is to say nothing of the projected second wave which we will not see until Jan/Feb. This is not the US. It is in no ones interest to scare people. No one in the NHS stands to make money from this situation. My perception of these events is not as a result of the media, I am seeing it from the inside.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Sanghamitta wrote:Laurens I think you might be missing the main thrust of this. The numbers of people dying from seasonal flu reflect what happens to the elderly population with underlying health concerns. What is different about Swine Flu is that a high proprotion of those dying are YOUNG. Being older actually confers a degree of immunity to this particular virus. We had two more deaths of fit young people in the hospital I manage last week. In addition to the deaths a sizeable proportion of younger people contacting the disease are hospitalised and remain ill for several weeks. This represents a huge drain on NHS resources, and is easily preventable.
And this is to say nothing of the projected second wave which we will not see until Jan/Feb. This is not the US. It is in no ones interest to scare people. No one in the NHS stands to make money from this situation. My perception of these events is not as a result of the media, I am seeing it from the inside.
Well as someone who manages a hospital it goes without saying that you will see the worst of things. However from my perspective I have not seen any of this, no one I know or have encountered has had the virus, and the same goes for alot of people I know. I don't deny that it is a problem. Simply that from where I stand it is not half as big as they make it out to be on the news. The news makes it out to be some kind of apocalypic event, which it is not in any way.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

It was for the family of the 28 year old woman who died on one of my wards last week.
Clearly if there had been no vaccination programme and a couple of thousand people had died in the UK then the reaction to that would have been huge..There is a direct correlation between the vaccine roll out and the downshift in the number of reported cases. We are seeing it week on week. Of course when it is all over and tens of thousands of people have not developed Swine Flu because other people had the jab some of them will say " see I told you that it was nothing ".... :tongue: c'est la vie ...

Bhikku Bodhi.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hello All,

Well, it appears that my wife has come down with the Swine Flu and I can only assume I'm next. The doctor said our 2 y.o. probably already had it and gave it to his mother but who knows. I just keep reflecting on byadahi-dhammomhi byaadhim anatiito and rolling with the punches. Be well. :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

The best thing for these things is to build up a strong immune system, and just like building a muscle it's not gonna get strong unless it gets used. That is why imo prevention of influenza by vaccination is never the best option for humanity.

Lots of people caught swine flu down here in Dunedin this season, it's really not all it's cracked up to be by the media and WHO.

Hope you all get better soon Mike :heart:

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Thanks Jack, and I certainly hope it's as mild as the normal flu. Be well!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Sanghamitta wrote: What is different about Swine Flu is that a high proprotion of those dying are YOUNG.
Well, so what? Death is death.

My perception of these events is not as a result of the media, I am seeing it from the inside.
Yes and this is why you probably have a distorted view. Remember you are encountering cases at several hundred or thousand times the frequency of the average person. When people outside the health care system see a mild case here and there, and might have a friend of a friend who was hospitalized, you see dozens of hospitalizations and even deaths.

So whose reality is real?