Swine Flu prevention - some simple measures

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Sanghamitta

Re: Swine Flu prevention - some simple measures

Post by Sanghamitta »

This isnt a philosophical game. These are real people. Those deaths are/were easily prevenatable by one one quick injection. That is not a matter of interpretation its a matter of fact.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Yes! And not only that but enough people getting the vaccine will stop the flu from becoming an epidemic again.

But again I am not a medical professional, just talking common sense here (I think?).

_/|\_
_/|\_
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

catmoon wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote: What is different about Swine Flu is that a high proprotion of those dying are YOUNG.
Well, so what? Death is death.

My perception of these events is not as a result of the media, I am seeing it from the inside.
Yes and this is why you probably have a distorted view. Remember you are encountering cases at several hundred or thousand times the frequency of the average person. When people outside the health care system see a mild case here and there, and might have a friend of a friend who was hospitalized, you see dozens of hospitalizations and even deaths.

So whose reality is real?
I find this breath-takingly lacking in compassion. This is not just about the fatalities although any preventable death is appalling , particular of a young parent. In a number of cases this virus, this easily preventable virus, causes great suffering. For every fifteen people who just have a mild flu, one will have a serious illness that will hospitalise them for weeks. They may well have caught that virus from one of the ones that have a mild form. This is a opportunity to put your compassion where your mouth is. Get protected and by so doing protect those who are vulnerable, who for reasons not yet clear, tend to be young active people.
Last edited by Sanghamitta on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Dan74 wrote:Yes! And not only that but enough people getting the vaccine will stop the flu from becoming an epidemic again.

But again I am not a medical professional, just talking common sense here (I think?).

_/|\_
I think you are.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Karunika

Post by Karunika »

I don't know anyone that has died from being struck by lightening, but that does not mean that I am going to go out in an electrical storm and fly a kite or even stand under a tree.

Here are some good hand washing pointers from the US Center for Disease Control. Proper hand washing is still one of the best preventive measures that one can take - that and not touching your eyes, mouth, nose, etc. Some of our grocery stores in the US have alcohol wipe dispensers so customers can clean the grocery cart handle before using. Also important to wash hands properly and thoroughly, which many people do not do (I learned when working in health care).

When washing hands with soap and water:

* Wet your hands with clean running water and apply soap. Use warm water if it is available.
* Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub all surfaces.
* Continue rubbing hands for 20 seconds. Need a timer? Imagine singing "Happy Birthday" twice through to a friend!
* Rinse hands well under running water
* Dry your hands using a paper towel or air dryer. If possible, use your paper towel to turn off the faucet

When should you wash your hands?

* Before preparing or eating food
* After going to the bathroom
* After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has gone to the bathroom
* Before and after tending to someone who is sick
* After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
* After handling an animal or animal waste
* After handling garbage
* Before and after treating a cut or wound

Remember: If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based gel to clean hands.

When using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer:

* Apply product to the palm of one hand
* Rub hands together
* Rub the product over all surfaces of hands and fingers until hands are dry.

Grandma and I also wash our hands whenever we come back home from a store.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Most important,that, for swineflu. Wash hands whenever you come home from a store becuase that is where you get the virus on your hands.

It's also good to frequently drink, to flush viruses down to the stomach, where the acid kills them and you can also take a Q tip and clean nostrils with salt water.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sanghamitta wrote:It was for the family of the 28 year old woman who died on one of my wards last week.
Clearly if there had been no vaccination programme and a couple of thousand people had died in the UK then the reaction to that would have been huge..There is a direct correlation between the vaccine roll out and the downshift in the number of reported cases. We are seeing it week on week. Of course when it is all over and tens of thousands of people have not developed Swine Flu because other people had the jab some of them will say " see I told you that it was nothing ".... :tongue: c'est la vie ...
You know how it is here?

We didn't get the vaccine in time. And many refused to get an untested
vaccine.

A lot of people already had the swineflu and are meanwhile back to work and back in school.

We have no idea how many had it.

The test cost money, (40-60 Euros)and people don't want to spend it.
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Sanghamitta wrote:
catmoon wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote: What is different about Swine Flu is that a high proprotion of those dying are YOUNG.
Well, so what? Death is death.

My perception of these events is not as a result of the media, I am seeing it from the inside.
Yes and this is why you probably have a distorted view. Remember you are encountering cases at several hundred or thousand times the frequency of the average person. When people outside the health care system see a mild case here and there, and might have a friend of a friend who was hospitalized, you see dozens of hospitalizations and even deaths.

So whose reality is real?
I find this breath-takingly lacking in compassion. This is not just about the fatalities although any preventable death is appalling , particular of a young parent. In a number of cases this virus, this easily preventable virus, causes great suffering. For every fifteen people who just have a mild flu, one will have a serious illness that will hospitalise them for weeks. They may well have caught that virus from one of the ones that have a mild form. This is a opportunity to put your compassion where your mouth is. Get protected and by so doing protect those who are vulnerable, who for reasons not yet clear, tend to be young active people.
"Preventable death"? When did they invent that? Do you think you can prevent death? It's going to happen sooner or later. And, in the overall picture, swine flu isn't even a bump in the road. You'd have a hard time demonstrating that there is any significant difference between this flu season and any other. For instance, if I remember correctly, each flu season some 8000 people die in Canada. So far we have lost 254 to swine flu and it is petering out. In other words, we are facing a pretty normal flu season.

When I said "death is death" I meant that no life is more important than another, though many seem to think so.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Well to be a bit tongue in cheek I think the life of a Buddha or Arahant is a lot more important than the lives of many humans on Earth today :stirthepot:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

BlackBird wrote:Well to be a bit tongue in cheek I think the life of a Buddha or Arahant is a lot more important than the lives of many humans on Earth today :stirthepot:
It may be true, but we are in no position to make the call, right?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

What if it were your own life on the line?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

If it were my own life on the line, I would still not be qualified to make the call. I'd need to know the value of the lives of others relative to mine, and that I cannot know.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

The 'value of life' reminds me of "unworthy life" in the Nazi time...