Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Laurens

Re: Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

Post by Laurens »

I agree the Dhammapada is an excellent choice, its not too heavy to read, its easy to pick up and put down without getting lost also there are a few sayings there that Jesus ripped off :tongue:
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, the Dhammapada is good, as long as you don't pick one of the dodgy translations... :reading:

For something with Buddhist attitudes with not technicalities there is Ajahn Brahm's "Opening the door to your heart"
http://www.bswa.org/zencart/index.php?m ... 8110a4f3d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[American Title: "Who ordered this truckload of dung?"].

I also agree with Paññāsikhara's point about picking things that will emphasise the similarities (compassion and so on) rather than the differences (technical stuff about creator gods and not-self), between Buddhism and Christianity. The Dhammapada has some of the latter, but plenty of the former.

Metta
Mike
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Sanghamitta wrote:I take your point zavk. But if. just for example, I wanted to introduce someone to Zen, I personally wouldnt post on a Theravadin website asking for recommendations. And I most definately would not post on a Zen website asking for pointers towards reading material on the Theravada.
With respect, Sanghamitta, I don't think you do.

Thich Nhat Hanh's books above are not about Zen. They are about fundamental Buddhist practices and how they connect with Christianity. It seems that any time a name or practice of something not formally Theravada shows up, alarm bells start ringing with some members. But if we make an effort to look at the substance, we find basic Buddhist practices, explained with clarity and depth of experience by a monk who lives the Dhamma.

I find that if we lay down our sectarian saw for a while, and then perhaps lay down the labels such as Theravada and Mahayana, our being opens up to the myriad teachings all around us. Yes, I do have a focus on a particular school of Buddhism, I do have a formal teacher who has more than half a lifetime of intensive training in a particular school, but I don't see how that implies exclusion of everything else. That would be attachment to views, creating divisions and conflicts, neither Dhamma nor conducive to Dhamma.

Bhikkhu Bodhi now lives and studies with a Mahayana master. Our very own Pannasikhara in the course of his academic Buddhist studies has learnt from teachers of different traditions. Life happens every moment and it is neither Buddhist nor not-Buddhist. I hope we all learn from it.

_/|\_
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:focus:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I would send them a copy of or print a copy of retros book, buddhism for modern sceptics!
It covers all bases really!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

If we assume that the object is not to convert but to give a glimpse of Buddhadhamma in action, perhaps " A Still Forest Pool " might fit the bill.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Gharchaina

Post by Gharchaina »

nomad wrote:My mother, a devout Christian, has recently shown an interest in my study of Buddhism. She asked if I had any books to loan her so that she could learn more about what it is that I believe and practice. I have a few hard-copy books, but I am afraid that they may not be what she is looking for. I was thinking about giving her “Being Nobody, Going Nowhere” and “Who is My Self?”, but I am wondering if that would help her at all. I think that she just wants an understanding of her son’s faith and is not looking to transition anytime soon. Do you guys think that these would be good books to give or would you recommend something else? I would prefer to stay away from e-books because her knowledge of computers is extremely limited.

Thanks,
With Metta

~nomad

:sage:
I would strongly recommend the chapter on Buddhism in Huston Smith's World Relgions. It is succinct, covers both Theravada and Mahayana and really accurately and sympathetically explains what Buddhism is about. Al in about 30 pages. A great introduction.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

http://www.goodquestiongoodanswer.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Question, Good Answer by Ven. Dhammika is excellent, short, but not too short, concise, in plain English and to the point. It covers all the major issues and clears up some misconceptions.

And it is available online, free!
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Thank you very much for that link :anjali:
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

mikenz66 wrote:For something with Buddhist attitudes with not technicalities there is Ajahn Brahm's "Opening the door to your heart"
http://www.bswa.org/zencart/index.php?m ... 8110a4f3d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[American Title: "Who ordered this truckload of dung?"].
Excelent recommendation Mike :twothumbsup:

My mother, who has never been religious, enjoyed reading Ajahn Brahm's amusing stories. She used to believe that all buddhist monks love and enjoy the gold at their temples as much as the Pope of Rome and the Vatican Empire, but the austere and simple living that Achan Brahm describes at this book did change her mind.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
David N. Snyder wrote:http://www.goodquestiongoodanswer.net/

Good Question, Good Answer by Ven. Dhammika is excellent, short, but not too short, concise, in plain English and to the point. It covers all the major issues and clears up some misconceptions.

And it is available online, free!
Yes, that was the first Buddhist text I ever read.... and, well... I became Buddhist, so it must have done the trick! :thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
nomad

Post by nomad »

Thanks for the wealth of recommendations. I'm going to give her a few choices and see what she likes best.

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
Bonsai

Post by Bonsai »

I have Old Path White Clouds and The Heart of Buddha's Teachings on the way in the mail. A light bulb just flicked on in my brain in that Thich Nhat Hanh is a Zen Monk, and I am interested in Theravada Buddhism, since the latter holds true to the original teachings (from what I've read). Also, Zen requires a teacher, and I don't have one. :(

So can anyone recommend a book, in the Theravada tradition, that looks at Buddha's life and Buddhist teachings? The book you would take if you had to spend the next 20 years in the wilderness, yet a book that is easy to read for someone new to Buddhism. I am still looking forward to reading Hanh's books, but I am a linear thinker. 1 leads to 2 leads to 3. Yet when you replace 2 with 5, or turn 3 upside down, then I get lost. :P

Last question. Is this something I should be worrying about now? I am assuming there are major differences between Zen and Theravada, and learning Zen without a teacher...well I really want to learn more about Theravada.

Thanks for all answers! :D And I hope the hijacking was okay, since it's related to the original topic and what was discussed here about Hanh.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bonsai
So can anyone recommend a book, in the Theravada tradition, that looks at Buddha's life and Buddhist teachings?
The Buddha's life:
-- Bhikkhu Nanamoli: The Life of the Buddha
-- Helmuth Hecker, Nyanaponika Thera and Bhikkhu Bodhi: Great Disciples of the Buddha
The Buddha's teaching (introductory)
-- Bhikkhu Bodhi: The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- Narada Mahathera: Buddhism in a Nutshell: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... shell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The book you would take if you had to spend the next 20 years in the wilderness
What I would take to the wilderness would be different to what I would recommend to someone starting out on the path. For me, it would be:
-- A translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi
-- A translation of the Samyutta Nikaya, translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi
-- Visuddhimagga by Acariya Buddhaghossa translated by Bhikkhu Nanamoli
-- A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi
If I'm going for 20 years then I'll insist on the above four and not one!
Last question. Is this something I should be worrying about now? I am assuming there are major differences between Zen and Theravada, and learning Zen without a teacher...well I really want to learn more about Theravada.
This is getting a bit off-topic and should be raised in a thread of its own, But what I will say is that at the beginning there's no problem with becoming familiar with different traditions. In time, you may wish to settle down and follow the teachings and instructions from one teacher within one tradition.
Now lets get back to topic!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Nomad,

I know you specifically stated "a book", but there was also this website http://www.justbegood.net/index.htm that made the rounds a while ago. It seemed to be specifically tailored to the task at hand if your mother has internet access.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai