Buddhism in one sentence

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Lombardi4

Buddhism in one sentence

Post by Lombardi4 »

If any non-buddhist ever asked you to describe Buddhism in one sentence, what would you tell him/her?

My take:

Buddhism is a set of teachings and practices whose aim is the utter elimination of suffering and attainment of complete happiness, achieved through deep insight into the true nature of reality.

Your take:
Laurens

Re: Buddhism in one sentence

Post by Laurens »

Buddhism is the art of being kind and letting go.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Avoid all evil,
Cultivate the good,
Purify your mind.

(Dhammapada, verse 183)
Tex

Post by Tex »

Buddhism is the practice of developing wisdom, wholesome conduct, and concentration for the purpose of ending suffering.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

you know that song, hotel california, by the eagles? well, it's nothing like that.

wait that's how i used to describe my band... i think Davids quote of the dhammapada works well..
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Retro is cool.
Northernbuck

Post by Northernbuck »

Buddhism is a means to find ones own truth.
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

I would repeat the Buddha:
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Seeing things as they really are.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Practice non-clinging.
ckatgo

Post by ckatgo »

I don't know where I read this, but -

Nothing is to be clung to as I, me or mine.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

The path to end all suffering.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Sabbe sattā āhāratthitikā,
All creatures are stayed (supported, maintained) by food (D. 33: iii,211)

Or (in other words):
All beings are fuelled by Nutriment

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 300#p42563
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
alan

Post by alan »

I'd say to him/her that it can't be expressed in one sentence, and then ask if she or he really wants to know.
Kokoro

Post by Kokoro »

Let's see if I can try this....

Buddhism is the method to awaken oneself as taught by the One who has been awakened.

I really like the descriptions given before my post as well.

I also like the last sentence in the first paragraph in the Wiki for Buddhism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism) which says
Buddhism is traditionally conceived as a path of liberation attained through insight into the ultimate nature of reality.
although if I were to use this description personally, I would change the sixth word from the indefinite article to the definite article. :smile:

:anjali: