Beginners questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
jcsuperstar

Re: Beginners questions

Post by jcsuperstar »

who says you cant have a family and practice the dhamma?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

you dont have to leave your family, no one is telling you to do that :smile:

You only become a monk and renounce family life if you really feel that it will be a benefit to your practice to become enlightened. There are many householders in the pali canon that achieve a great deal, from stream-winner up to to non-returner. Some even became arahants without ever becoming a monk (although as far as i have read this seems to be when they were on their death bed)
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Element

Post by Element »

Livindesert wrote:So how would taking up a bowl and leaving my family (which would get me in legal trouble in this day and age) be better than a Taoist approach of enjoying the moment? Or a Mahayana approach of keeping the family and practicing dhamma?
I think the Theravada approach is the same as the other approaches. In fact, i would say Theravada offers many more teachings than both Taoism and Mahayana for one living the household life. There is no need to leave our family.

With metta

Element
Livindesert

Post by Livindesert »

I would say Theravada offers many more teachings than both Taoism and Mahayana for one living the household life.
I would be interested in a quick overview of some of those :smile:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Livindesert,

See this thread for examples...

Suttas for the Householder
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Livindesert

Post by Livindesert »

Thanks for the sutra links :jumping:

O.k. something I just thought about if this constantly changing thing is not realted to some sort of a self then isn't everything you inherit beyond your control? I guess at least a good thing from the same scenario would be someone else besides you would benefit from your good deeds.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

if you inherit a million dollars is how you use it beyond your control?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Livindesert

Post by Livindesert »

In another post on the board.
When a Buddha-to-be in the Tusita heaven is getting ready to take rebirth in the human realm, he chooses the circumstances (gender, caste, location) most ideal to helping the most people.
O.k. if their is no :quote: self :quote: which aggregate gets to choose which other aggregates it joins up with?
Livindesert

Post by Livindesert »

jcsuperstar wrote:if you inherit a million dollars is how you use it beyond your control?
Exactly :smile: I would only get one shot and no others to spend that money. After I died the remaining money would just go to someone else.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Livindesert,
Livindesert wrote:O.k. if their is no :quote: self :quote: which aggregate gets to choose which other aggregates it joins up with?
Good question... I don't see there's much choice in the matter. Furthermore, don't forget also that Gotama was not enlightened prior to becoming the Buddha.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Livindesert,
Livindesert wrote:O.k. if their is no :quote: self :quote: which aggregate gets to choose which other aggregates it joins up with?
It's a decision and all decisions belong to the aggregate of formations. In fact everything that's mental but isn't a feeling, perception or cognition, belongs to this aggregate.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Element wrote:
clw_uk wrote:One can be a householder without a family and still have these virtues and one can be a householder with a family and lack these virtues.

:namaste:
Hi Craig

I agree here however this understanding was not the intention of my post. I was merely listing some reasons for having a family. :hug:

Regards,

E
I benefitted from reading those reasons.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Like I have stated before I am quite new and have a few questions to ask our more experienced members, if they would be so kind as to lend some wisdom :)

When I examine my motives for practice, it seems that the answers I come up with are very self-centered. I want wisdom, I aspire to enlightenment, why, because I want it! When I examine why I want it, well I'm not 100% sure, but I am beginning to feel my motives may be selfish and ego-driven. I strive to be ego-free and unselfish and believe practice is the way to accomplish this, but if practise has its roots in ego and selfishness can is this possible? Has anyone else encountered this and how does one overcome this?

Is the ambition to be desire free a desire in itself? And if so is it not self defeating?

This is what I have so far, only two questions but the two biggest I have so far. I am sure there will be more :)
He who formerly was wreckless and afterwards became sober
brightens this world, like the moon when freed from clouds
Livindesert

Post by Livindesert »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Livindesert,
It's a decision and all decisions belong to the aggregate of formations. In fact everything that's mental but isn't a feeling, perception or cognition, belongs to this aggregate.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

So are you saying that choosing rebirth is illusion?
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
Slartibartfast wrote:When I examine my motives for practice, it seems that the answers I come up with are very self-centered. I want wisdom, I aspire to enlightenment, why, because I want it! When I examine why I want it, well I'm not 100% sure, but I am beginning to feel my motives may be selfish and ego-driven. I strive to be ego-free and unselfish and believe practice is the way to accomplish this, but if practise has its roots in ego and selfishness can is this possible? Has anyone else encountered this and how does one overcome this?
There is a story in the Sutta-piṭaka about Ānanda-thera and one bhikkhunī who was in love with him. Ānanda-thera teaches her that this body comes into being through food, craving, conceit, and sexual intercourse. By relying on the food, craving, and conceit one can abandon food, craving, and conceit. But sexual intercourse is of no use on the path. In relation to conceit Ānanda-thera said:
  • "'This body comes into being through conceit. And yet it is by relying on conceit that conceit is to be abandoned.' Thus was it said. And in reference to what was it said? There is the case, sister, where a monk hears, 'The monk named such-and-such, they say, through the ending of the fermentations, has entered & remains in the fermentation-free awareness-release & discernment-release, having known & realized them for himself in the here & now.' The thought occurs to him, 'The monk named such-and-such, they say, through the ending of the fermentations, has entered & remains in the fermentation-free awareness-release & discernment-release, having known & realized them for himself in the here & now. Then why not me?' Then, at a later time, he abandons conceit, having relied on conceit. 'This body comes into being through conceit. And yet it is by relying on conceit that conceit is to be abandoned.' Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said. — Bhikkhunī-sutta (AN 4.159)
It basically means that path and progress are gradual. First one's motives may be not so clear, but after all they lead to further training and practice — which is good. Then, ultimately, there comes the time when one can let go conceit, craving, and so on...
Is the ambition to be desire free a desire in itself? And if so is it not self defeating?
Yes it is a desire, but a skillful one. According to the teaching in the Suttas it's not self-defeating, since it is like, using canonical analogy, going to the park. When you're not in the park, then you may have a desire to go there. After you find yourself in the desired place, you're free from desire to go where you are.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...