Ready to become a student of the Dhamma

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Kokoro

Ready to become a student of the Dhamma

Post by Kokoro »

Hello,

My name is Jay and for many years I've been studying and practicing the Buddha Dhamma on and off. I was first introduced to Buddhism through my interest in things Japanese which lead me to the brief practice of Pure Land Buddhism (Jodoshinshu) and soon after membership with Soka Gakkai International Canada (a lay organization based on Nichiren Buddhism). After a couple years in the SGI, I became somewhat curious about the other schools of Buddhism and for a while learned a bit about the various Mahayana schools, and then Vajrayana, and finally Theravada.

I turned away from the Dhamma when I came across some things that (at the time) I didn't want to accept (namely the Theravada atheistic attitude and the seemingly polytheistic attitude of the various Mahayana schools). In attempting to fight the thoughts that were creeping up on me from the deepest parts of my mind, I turned towards Islam and became a fully-observant, sometimes perhaps exessively observant, Muslim.

However, over the years my mind could not force out the information that had already entered, and eventually I began to "bounce back and forth" between the two belief systems. Eventually, I came to the realization that I can not force myself to accept either belief system, and that I must simply continue my study until I feel confident enough to make an informed and calculated decision on the matter. It was around this time that some of the issues I had with the Dhamma before seemed to fall away, and I began to stop feeling guilty about doubting the idea of a permanent creator-deity.

Since then, little by little, I have been studying the Dhamma and attempting to put it into practice. I spend a lot of time reading and reflecting over the Dhammapada, which is currently my favourite book, and spending time alone reflecting on what I learn each day about the Dhamma.
Some months ago I began to call myself a Buddhist, as I had privately taken refuge in the Triple Gem and make a promise to myself to learn and understand the Five Precepts, and then to accept and live by them.

I am now more serious in my study, have registered with a nearby Vippassana meditation centre (I will attend my first 10 day course in January) which is taught in the instruction of S.N. Goenka. I have also enjoyed a few talks with a couple very kind and welcoming Bhikkhus, and I now wish to connect with the worldwide Sangha/Community of Buddhists and continue to learn from/with them, which is why I have just registered here.

As I am still very ignorant of many basics of Buddhist etiquette and caution, I wish to apologise if anything I say on here offends or causes any anger to anyone here, although I promise to abide by the rules of the forum and will do my best to adhere the universal concepts of compassion, tolerance and respect. If ever I make a mistake in attempting to explain anything related to Dhamma, I ask you to please correct my mistake if you know what mistake was made, so that I may continue to learn.

My posts may at times be a bit winded (I tend to talk like one usually writes an essay) and that is also something I wish to correct, so please forgive any rantings and ravings I may post and feel free to encourage and help me to be "more to the point."

Many thanks to Dr. David Snyder for his creation of this website, as well as DhammaWiki which has proven to be an indispensable site for my continuing education in the Dhamma. May all present be well and happy.

With reverance and metta,
Jay
retrofuturist

Re: Ready to become a student of the Dhamma

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jay,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel and thank you for the comprehensive introduction and background.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Hi Kokoro,

Welcome, jump right in.

I tend to write essays too.

Nice username.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hey there

Welcome to Dhamma wheel

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Hi Kokoro,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Thanks for that introduction and comments.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hello Jay

All the best for your first 10-day course. I (and a few others here) have follow Goenka's approach to meditation. Those courses can be very fruitful! Judging from your avatar, I believe you already understand that Buddhism is all about understanding the nature of the 'heart-mind'. :) As for writing long winded posts.... I'm keeping my head down... :embarassed:
With metta,
zavk
Kokoro

Post by Kokoro »

Wow! I didn't expect as many replies in such a short timespan! Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. BlackBird, are you a student of Venerable Ajahn Punnadhammo? I've been following his blog for a couple years now and hope to be able to visit Arrow River some day and learn from him directly. :)

:anjali:
phil

Post by phil »

Hi Jay

Welcome aboard, love the avatar. Did you know that if you draw a stroke though it from top to bottom, right to left, you get the character that means inevitability, or must, or surely will. We surely will benefit from our Dhamma friendship with everyone here and we will surely find a lot of kokoro/heart here!

Metta,
Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jay
Welcome to Dhamma wheel!
Kokoro wrote:I will attend my first 10 day course in January which is taught in the instruction of S.N. Goenka.
Well done! I have been practicing under the guidance of SN Goenka since 1985 and I continue to go back for retreats every year or so. I wish you all the very best for your first ten-day course.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..