Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Dan74

Re: Buddhist Text for Non-Buddhist?

Post by Dan74 »

Bonsai wrote:I have Old Path White Clouds and The Heart of Buddha's Teachings on the way in the mail. A light bulb just flicked on in my brain in that Thich Nhat Hanh is a Zen Monk, and I am interested in Theravada Buddhism, since the latter holds true to the original teachings (from what I've read). Also, Zen requires a teacher, and I don't have one. :(

So can anyone recommend a book, in the Theravada tradition, that looks at Buddha's life and Buddhist teachings? The book you would take if you had to spend the next 20 years in the wilderness, yet a book that is easy to read for someone new to Buddhism. I am still looking forward to reading Hanh's books, but I am a linear thinker. 1 leads to 2 leads to 3. Yet when you replace 2 with 5, or turn 3 upside down, then I get lost. :P

Last question. Is this something I should be worrying about now? I am assuming there are major differences between Zen and Theravada, and learning Zen without a teacher...well I really want to learn more about Theravada.

Thanks for all answers! :D And I hope the hijacking was okay, since it's related to the original topic and what was discussed here about Hanh.
Thich Nhat Hahn in his books (like the ones above) tends to present some basic Buddhist teachings that are fundamental to all traditions. Like dependent origination or what he has dubbed "interbeing," mindfulness and compassion.

As far as I remember he does not present much Zen or Mahayana in the books that you mention, but I could be wrong.

As regards choosing a tradition, best as Ben says to acquaint yourself with several different ones. Read, go on retreats if you can and most importantly practice!

_/|\_
_/|\_
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

You asked for recommendations for Theravada reading Bonsai. Those mentioned above by Ben are excellent recommendations. Truly fitting for this "Discovering Theravada" subforum.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Bonsai

Post by Bonsai »

Thanks Ben, Dan74, and Sanghamitta! Will definitely check them out.
suanck

Post by suanck »

David N. Snyder wrote:http://www.goodquestiongoodanswer.net/

Good Question, Good Answer by Ven. Dhammika is excellent, short, but not too short, concise, in plain English and to the point. It covers all the major issues and clears up some misconceptions.

And it is available online, free!
I agree. That's the book I'd recommend to anyone who wants to have a general overview of Buddhism.

Suan