Curry

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sindre

Curry

Post by Sindre »

Greetings all,

In the bhikkhu patimokkha rules there are some rules mentioning curry (sekhiya, part two), and I wonder if anyone please can tell me exactly what this curry is?

With metta,

Sindre
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Curry

Post by DNS »

Judging by the context it appears to be referring to the spicy sauce of curry and to keep the beans and curry in proper proportions, not too much sauce, not too much beans. My guess is so that it won't give appearances that you 'favor' it one way or the other (more beans or more curry).
29. I will receive almsfood with bean curry in proper proportion: a training to be observed.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See Buddhist Monastic Discipline I.

It refers only to pulses.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Maybe it was originally because of farting in the meditation hall. Too many beans.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Ben

Post by Ben »

James have a look at the material that Bhante provided a link to. It should provide you with the context as to why that sila was adopted.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi all

I have two things in particular to say here.

Firstly, bean curry is pretty good.
Secondly, why was this rule actually formulated?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Sindre

Post by Sindre »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:See Buddhist Monastic Discipline I.

It refers only to pulses.

Thank you bhante.
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."