Buddhist Economics

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jcsuperstar

Re: Buddhist Economics

Post by jcsuperstar »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi David,
TheDhamma wrote:Buddhists tend to lean to the left, but I have seen plenty of right leaning Buddhists too. So it will be interesting to see how learned bhikkhus feel on the issues.
My view is that no political outlook has a monopoly on the brahmaviharas or any other Buddhist virtues. I think Buddhists might with equally pure motivation, equally good conscience, and with equal fallibility, end up nearly anywhere on the political spectrum, excluding only those ideologies that have the doing of harm as an intrinsic and intentional feature.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
you only say that cause youre a conservative ;)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:you only say that cause youre a conservative ;)
:jumping:

You’re quite right, of course. We conservatives do tend to take a much more benign and tolerant view of those with whom we disagree than one usually encounters among those on the political left.
  • “The conservative is tolerant because he has something to tolerate from, because he has in a sense squared himself with the structure of reality. He doesn't feel that terrible need to exterminate the enemy which seems to inflame so many radicals of both the past and the present.”
    (Richard Weaver, The Individualist)
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
chapulincolorado

Post by chapulincolorado »

Dhammanando wrote:
  • “The conservative is tolerant because he has something to tolerate from, because he has in a sense squared himself with the structure of reality. He doesn't feel that terrible need to exterminate the enemy which seems to inflame so many radicals of both the past and the present.”
As someone much older than me used to say, "Today's conservatives are yesterday's radicals."

:reading:

Though I am assuming that Mr. Weaver never listened to my local conservative radio station.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:you only say that cause youre a conservative ;)
:jumping:

You’re quite right, of course. We conservatives do tend to take a much more benign and tolerant view of those with whom we disagree than one usually encounters among those on the political left.
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
i often wonder about you though, i mean youre british and a buddhist monk living in bangkok, how conservative from an american conservative POV could you really be? i mean arent your concervatives still left of our (mainstream) liberals?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Dhammanando wrote:
I've known some liberals who are pretty tolerant, and some conservatives who are pretty intolerant. No political outlook has a monopoly on tolerance.
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.