How do Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis acknowledge birthdays?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mawkish1983

How do Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis acknowledge birthdays?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

It's Bhikkhu Bodhi's birthday today (happy birthday). It got me thinking... do Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis do anything for their birthdays?
Paññāsikhara

Re: How do Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis acknowledge birthdays?

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Wake up, walk, sit, talk, eat, crap, breath, lie down, sleep.
That sort of thing.

Every day is a holy-day. ;-)
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Yes, they (or some) do celebrate there birthday.
Ajahn Sumedho celebrated his 72nd (?) a few years ago, and the Abbot of Chithurst celebrated one while I was at amaravati, many of the monks and laymen went there for it, I didn't so don't know what went on, wish I had, but I didn't want to go there for the occasion when I didn't know him!

Edit
I also heard from one of the lay guests who used to be a monk at WPN about times he visited (with others) famous monks (in the wider forest tradition) for their Birthdays, but he mainly talked about them as inspiring people rather than the celebrations.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
chownah

Post by chownah »

If we have all been reborn through countless lifetimes then I guess that the odds are that we were born on each and every day of the year in one of our previous rebirths so I guess we should celebrate every day as our birthday.
chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Some monks and abbots do. I went to a Thai temple once and it happened to be the abbot's birthday. There were piles of presents and most of them were wrapped, so I have no idea what they could have been? It looked a little too materialistic for my taste. I suppose they could have been some essentials, but with the wrapping paper it could have been anything.
LauraJ

Post by LauraJ »

David N. Snyder wrote:Some monks and abbots do. I went to a Thai temple once and it happened to be the abbot's birthday. There were piles of presents and most of them were wrapped, so I have no idea what they could have been? It looked a little too materialistic for my taste. I suppose they could have been some essentials, but with the wrapping paper it could have been anything.
That is interesting. I admit, if I were practicing under an abbot I would want to give a gift on his birthday.

:anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

LauraJ wrote: That is interesting. I admit, if I were practicing under an abbot I would want to give a gift on his birthday.
Yes, definitely, Dhamma gifts are wonderful presents for monks and nuns, such as requisites, essentials, temple dana, books, etc.
karuna_murti

Post by karuna_murti »

last saturday I attend a small ceremony to celebrate a birthday of a bhikkhu.
just usual puja, but we pour some water on his hand.
salmon

Post by salmon »

We all made an extra effort to attend puja on that day (and be attentive, too!). And we sang Happy Birthday...much to the bhikkhu's embarrassment. :tongue: But he took it in good faith. Offered lunch (birthday cake included), then he gave us blessings in return.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~