With Sanghamitta Day looming...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Emi

With Sanghamitta Day looming...

Post by Emi »

... I'm curious as to how you all keep it, if at all. :smile:

How do you observe the day? And if there's no temple near by for you to visit, what then?

Pure, 'unadulterated' curiosity, I'm afraid. :lol:

Thanks for any replies!

Emi
:namaste:
"When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around."
Sanghamitta

Re: With Sanghamitta Day looming...

Post by Sanghamitta »

Having been honoured by being given her name when I took Refuge I will of course keep the observance of her day. :smile:

I will go along to my nearest temple and help with the Dana meal.

May everyone have a peaceful and joyful Sanghamitta Day.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Do a bit of meditation
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

Unless I'm on a retreat, I usually don't observe the Uposotha. Its just a bit difficult with a busy married life with kids. Maintaining precepts and daily practice is challenge enough at this stage.
But I would like to encourage others to observe the Uposotha when they can. And I wish everyone a very auspicious Sanghamitta Day, especially Sanghamitta who is enjoying a refuge anniversary on the day.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Emi wrote: How do you observe the day? And if there's no temple near by for you to visit, what then?
Sometimes to a temple, but mostly on / around December 25. We (family) sometimes have an artificial tree with lights, exchange gifts, and eat one large meal around noon, with desserts to make it a festive occasion. The Christmas rituals in a way have more to do with Sanghamitta Day then Christmas:

Ven. Sanghamitta arrived in Sri Lanka with the 'gifts' of the Dhamma and the sapling of the original Bodhi Tree. The traditional gift exchanges during Christmas could remind Buddhists of the gifts Ven. Sanghamiita brought to Sri Lanka. For those who like Christmas trees, the tree could also represent the sapling of the Bodhi Tree she brought with her from India.

Emi

Post by Emi »

David N. Snyder wrote: Ven. Sanghamitta arrived in Sri Lanka with the 'gifts' of the Dhamma and the sapling of the original Bodhi Tree. The traditional gift exchanges during Christmas could remind Buddhists of the gifts Ven. Sanghamiita brought to Sri Lanka. For those who like Christmas trees, the tree could also represent the sapling of the Bodhi Tree she brought with her from India.
:goodpost:

This is beautiful; I'd never looked at Christmas in this way - thank you for opening my eyes. :D
"When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around."
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Thanks, all. I was not familiar with this holiday, but I accepted triple gem refuge for the first time on December 25th, 1989, largely because I wanted to detoxify from an especially crappy consumerism driven year. Now I can triply celebrate Christmas!
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Sadhu !