Preparing The Mind For Anapanasati By Raising Joy

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

A nice little Dhamma talk to help prepare for our meditation practice.

Dhamma Talk by Ven Ajahn Brahmavamso
http://www.metta.lk/english/joy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It’s a very good thing to keep in mind and to remember that if the mind is feeling tired, depressed, angry, upset, then it isn't really a sort of mind which can be worked and used to gain this peaceful, quiet state of mind"

Metta,
Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken link removed - replaced with current link
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Preparing The Mind For Anapanasati By Raising Joy

Post by tiltbillings »

"It’s a very good thing to keep in mind and to remember that if the mind is feeling tired, depressed, angry, upset, then it isn't really a sort of mind which can be worked and used to gain this peaceful, quiet state of mind"
But on the other hand, all that is good stuff to mindfully watch as part of one's vipassana practice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

:goodpost: x2
thanks for the link retro
:clap:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I on the other hand believe that if one truly concentrates on the rise and fall of the breath, and develops sufficient concentration, akusala mindstates cease to be the focus of one's attention.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

That's true, too. Maybe it comes down to a personal judgment about what level of concentration is necessary to begin effective insight meditation, and how deep one wishes (or is able) to go in any particular session. Of course on a retreat it's best to follow the instructions of the teacher.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote: Preparing The Mind For Anapanasati By Raising Joy
http://www.mettanet.org/english/joy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link, Retro!!

:thumbsup:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

the Buddha wrote:When he is glad, rapture is born in him; in one who is rapturous, the body becomes tranquil; one whose body is tranquil feels pleasure; in one who feels pleasure, the mind becomes concentrated.

MN 7 (and many other suttas)
:smile: :arrow: :buddha1:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
zavk

Post by zavk »

christopher::: wrote:
retrofuturist wrote: Preparing The Mind For Anapanasati By Raising Joy
http://www.mettanet.org/english/joy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link, Retro!!

:thumbsup:
Hey Retro

The link is an unused domain. Is there a typo?
With metta,
zavk
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello zavk,

Maybe this one?
http://www.metta.lk/english/joy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
zavk wrote:The link is an unused domain. Is there a typo?
No, it must have elapsed. I never type these links out... I always copy them straight from the URL line.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Chris wrote:Maybe this one?
Yep, that's the article.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I know i've been spamming it up recently, but I'd just like to add some weight to this (however small).

Recently I've been doing some 'preliminary' metta, before moving onto anapanasati, really focusing on moving that metta outwards, towards specific people and then out to the world in general, one can't help but smile, it definately brings a little pīti out to play, and it makes focus so much easier. For me it's been the like the difference of filling the car up with 91 unleaded, and filling it up with 98 super premium octane.

Hope you all have a Mettaful day.
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

BlackBird wrote:For me it's been the like the difference of filling the car up with 91 unleaded, and filling it up with 98 super premium octane.
Can't 'knock' that...
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I suppose raising joy before moving onto anapanasati, is a bit like tuning the guitar to play the song.

:bow: --> Metta --> :D --> :meditate: --> :bow:

Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Some interesting ideas in this text:

http://www.chibs.edu.tw/mukherjee/artic ... l/2001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is a longer one called
On the Earliest Path to the Tathāgatahood:
A Study in Nikāya Traditions
Biswadeb Mukherjee
Researcher,Chung-Hwa Institute of Buddhist Studies

http://www.chibs.edu.tw/publication/chb ... bj1334.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations