Another rookie

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Another rookie

Postby Lazy_eye » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:54 am

Hello all,

This looks to be a great site and I hope you won't mind if I climb aboard too..I've met a few of you over at e-sangha and am glad to find you here. I'm 42, a married father of two, live in central Maryland, have had a casual interest in Buddhism since my teens but began to look into it more seriously a couple of years ago -- after, of all things, finding a dhamma text in the drawer of a hotel where I was staying. Yep, right there with the Gideon's and the Book of Mormon.

Still at an early stage in my practice and study, and haven't yet decided on a tradition to follow -- I'm most interested in Theravada and Zen, though there are aspects to Pure Land which I find appealing as well. Looking forward to the sutta study group and, in general, some lively discussions.
Lazy_eye

Re: Another rookie

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:02 am

Greetings and welcome, lazy eye.

:hello:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:07 am

Lazy_eye wrote: after, of all things, finding a dhamma text in the drawer of a hotel where I was staying. Yep, right there with the Gideon's and the Book of Mormon.

Cool. :jedi:

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 am

Welcome Lazy Eye. I remember answering one of your questions over at e-sangha a couple of days ago.
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:17 am

Welcome
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby genkaku » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 am

Welcome lazyeye. Hope you find something useful here.
genkaku

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Welcome!

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Introductions