Shamatha/Jhana Meditation Retreats

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
EricJ

Shamatha/Jhana Meditation Retreats

Post by EricJ »

This summer, I would like to attend a shamatha meditation retreat (as the title probably suggests), but thus far it has been exceedingly difficult to find one through my searches on the Internet. So, I was wondering if anybody who is more knows any practice centers or links to find centers that are hosting such retreats between June and early August in the United States or Canada.

Thanks,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
Cittasanto

Re: Shamatha/Jhana Meditation Retreats

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Eric,
try searching for samatha, but can't help with specifics unfortunately, there is a group called samatha trust in the UK but don't think they are in the US
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,

Samatha Trust has a group in California:

http://samatha.org/california/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:

http://leighb.com/meditate.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

you can try these folks
http://imsb.org/index.php
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,