Pali script for Anicca, Anatta, Dukkha

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
withoutcolour

Pali script for Anicca, Anatta, Dukkha

Post by withoutcolour »

Hi all, new to the forum, not new to Buddhism :)

So, onto my question!
In Pali, I am able to find the Pali script for impermanence (anicca) and dukkha, but not no-self (anatta):

अनिच्चा anicca, impermanence
दुक्ख dukkha, suffering
???? anatta, no self

Why is this?
Does anyone know the Pali script spelling for anatta?

Thanks, scholars! :)
-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
evie

Re: Pali script for Anicca, Anatta, Dukkha

Post by evie »

hi!, am also looking for the pali for anatta!
i have looked all over the net. the only other option i can think of is having a look in my university library for info.
i will be back at university on the 11th jan so if i find anything i will post it on here.
:)
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

withoutcolour wrote:Hi all, new to the forum, not new to Buddhism :)

So, onto my question!
In Pali, I am able to find the Pali script for impermanence (anicca) and dukkha, but not no-self (anatta):

दुक्ख dukkha, suffering
???? anatta, no self

Why is this?

-wc
Hi,

as far as I know there is no standard pali script. Different countries used to use their own script. I'm not familiar with the other kinds of possible scripts but it looks like it's "Devanagari"-script what you're looking for.
Edit:
I found something: अनत्ता according to my tipitaka-program this should be anatta in devanagari-script.
btw the translation is "not (a) self" or "not (a) soul" not "no self", but I don't want to start a discussion about the translation.
anyway...
best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Acinteyyo is correct.
"The Pali language is the product of the homogenization of the dialects in which the teachings of the Buddha were orally recorded and transmitted. The term Pali originally referred to a canonical text or passage rather than to a language. No script was ever developed for Pali and scribes used the scripts of their native languages to transcribe the texts. Tradition states that the language of the canon is Magadhi, the language believed to be spoken by Gautami Buddha."
p209 Oxford Dictionary of Buddhism by Damien Keown, Oxford University Press, 2003.2004.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Thank you all, specifically you Acinteyyo.
You're right, I did mean Devanagari, heh.
I'm trying to focus a lot of my energy on learning more about Theravada, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can! :)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

So, onto my question!

दुक्ख dukkha, suffering
???? anatta, no self

Why is this?

-wc
As explained above, Pali is not a script. One can write it in Romanized, and that is exactly the same as using Sinhala, Devanagari, Thai, Khmer, Burmese or the like, nothing is changed - just a different script.

A couple of points:
"anicca" is "impermanent", and not "impermanence"
The latter is "aniccatA", with the abstract "tA" suffix.
Likewise for dukkha and anattA.

Also:
Because these terms are adjectives, they will change depending on what they are complementing. For instance, if they refer to a singular, then they end in "a" / "aH" / "o". But if they describe a plural, then it is "A" or "AH". ex. between describing a single aggregate, or all the aggregates.

So, you may need to be a little more specific about what exactly you want. :)
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Kare

Post by Kare »

So, onto my question!

दुक्ख dukkha, suffering
???? anatta, no self

Why is this?

-wc
I don't have the correct fonts, so it's a little difficult to explain this, since I am unable to show you the devanagari. But in devanagari the short i is placed above and to the left of the consonant of its syllable. The syllable is ni, but in devanagari it must be written in, although it still is read ni. This means that the i should be moved one step to the left, and you should spell it aincca. That should produce the correct result.

Another point is that these three words all contain consonant groups: anicca, dukkha, anatta. In devanagari the consonants in a consonant group are not normally written separately, but joined in a combined letter that is called a ligature. You therefore need the appropriate ligatures for these consonant groups.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Post by Kare »

Paññāsikhara wrote: As explained above, Pali is not a script. One can write it in Romanized, and that is exactly the same as using Sinhala, Devanagari, Thai, Khmer, Burmese or the like, nothing is changed - just a different script.
Agreed. Therefore, in order to read Pali, it is not necessary to learn any new script, since it can be written and read in Latin (Western) letters, with a few dots and lines added.

Still, it can be fun and interesting to learn some of the other scripts. They all have their own beauty, and reading the Pali texts in for instance Sinhalese script can be an esthetic joy.

Devanagari can be very useful, since this enables you to read Sanskrit texts as well. If you know Pali, you will find that Sanskrit is so close that it does not take too much extra work to read texts in that language.

I would also recommend the Thai script. The complete Tipitaka in Pali, Thai script, is available for a very reasonable price. Of course you can also read the Tipitaka free online in Romanized script. but if you like to have it in "old-fashioned" books, the Thai Pali edition can be recommended.
Mettāya,
Kåre
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kare wrote: Still, it can be fun and interesting to learn some of the other scripts. They all have their own beauty, and reading the Pali texts in for instance Sinhalese script can be an esthetic joy.
:thumbsup:

See also Dhamma written in ten different scripts:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Maybe it's a bit off topic but this could be very useful for one or the other.
It's a desktop software of the pali-tipitaka, including the sutta pitaka, vinaya pitaka, abhidhamma pitaka, visuddhimagga and a lot more in pali written in 14 scripts (devanagari, burmese, latin, thai, khmer and some more). A pali-english and pali-hindi dictionary is also part of the application. I use it very often and therefore really recommend it to you.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Kare

Post by Kare »

acinteyyo wrote:Maybe it's a bit off topic but this could be very useful for one or the other.
It's a desktop software of the pali-tipitaka, including the sutta pitaka, vinaya pitaka, abhidhamma pitaka, visuddhimagga and a lot more in pali written in 14 scripts (devanagari, burmese, latin, thai, khmer and some more). A pali-english and pali-hindi dictionary is also part of the application. I use it very often and therefore really recommend it to you.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thank you, this is useful. I already have the CSCD installed on my computer (copied it to the harddisk), and it has been very useful for several years. What changes are there in this new version? Any improvements from the CD?
Mettāya,
Kåre
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Kare wrote:What changes are there in this new version? Any improvements from the CD?
Sorry I don't know the CD but I made a few desktoppictures, so you can take a look yourself ;)
CST4.0 dictionary.JPG
CST4.0 dictionary.JPG (54.58 KiB) Viewed 17471 times
CST4.0 MN.JPG
CST4.0 MN.JPG (85.03 KiB) Viewed 17471 times
CST4.0 Devanagari.JPG
CST4.0 Devanagari.JPG (74.17 KiB) Viewed 17471 times
Kare

Post by Kare »

Thanks! It looks nice. I think I'll just have to download this and explore it further for myself.

:anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
mkk

Post by mkk »

Hello,

since CSCD is only for MS Windows here is an platform independent alternative - the Digital Pali Reader (DPR). It is a browser related software (and it works ONLY with Firefox). Included is a dictionary as well - by simply clicking a word in the text you can look it up.

Metta,
Micha.
hlaingu

Post by hlaingu »

1.‘‘रूपं, भिक्खवे, अनत्ता। = rupam, bhikkhave, anatta,=
2.वेदना अनत्ता। = vedana anatta
3.‘‘सञ्ञा अनत्ता। =sanna anatta
4.‘‘ सङ्खारा अनत्ता।= samkhara anatta
5.‘‘विञ्ञावणं अनत्ता। = vinnanavanan anatta

The above-mentioned phrases I have just been learning are from http://www.tipitaka.org/deva/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; संयुत्तनिकायो …> ........................>(१. उपयसुत्तं
………..७. अनत्तलक्खणसुत्तं)

http://www.tipitaka.org/deva/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a nice day.

Regards,
U Hlaing