Quote??

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Quote??

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi All

I have been looking for a sutta which says (I think it is the Buddha who says it, but may be Ananda?) something along the lines of 'it is by using what we cling to that we remove clinging'

any ideas?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Quote??

Postby Chula » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 pm

I think this is what you're referring to:

"This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

There's also an instance where Ven. Ananda talks with a brahmin who says it's impossible to end desire with desire - Ven. Ananda asks if the brahmin still has the desire to come and meet him now that he's here already to clear that up.

I think there's also a passage where Ven. Dhammadinna says something along these lines (relying on craving to remove craving) to her lay-husband Visakha.
Chula

Re: Quote??

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Chula wrote:I think this is what you're referring to:

"This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

There's also an instance where Ven. Ananda talks with a brahmin who says it's impossible to end desire with desire - Ven. Ananda asks if the brahmin still has the desire to come and meet him now that he's here already to clear that up.

I think there's also a passage where Ven. Dhammadinna says something along these lines (relying on craving to remove craving) to her lay-husband Visakha.

Chears!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion