The World Around Us, Arising and Falling Away...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
christopher:::

The World Around Us, Arising and Falling Away...

Post by christopher::: »

We seem to be living in highly chaotic times right now. Though i wonder, if its ever been that different. Nations, economies, communities come together and thrive. Then there is decline, difficulty, challenges. Always the dharma seems to point a way to greater ease and freedom, if we are able to practice successfully.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Re: The World Around Us, Arising and Falling Away...

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Christopher,

Extract from SN 22.95 - Phena Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Form is like a glob of foam;
feeling, a bubble;
perception, a mirage;
fabrications, a banana tree;
consciousness, a magic trick —
this has been taught
by the Kinsman of the Sun.
However you observe them,
appropriately examine them,
they're empty, void
to whoever sees them
appropriately.
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Element

Post by Element »

I can only speculate but significant change could be possible for some. America, as a nation, has reached a maturity, now appearing to be replete with excesses. Buddha said there eight vicissitudes of life. Unsatisfactoriness and failure. These are part of the conditioned realm.
Gain/loss,
status/disgrace,
censure/praise,
pleasure/pain:
these conditions among human beings
are inconstant,
impermanent,
subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don't charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

Lokavipatti Sutta
Ben

Post by Ben »

christopher::: wrote:We seem to be living in highly chaotic times right now. Though i wonder, if its ever been that different. Nations, economies, communities come together and thrive. Then there is decline, difficulty, challenges. Always the dharma seems to point a way to greater ease and freedom, if we are able to practice successfully.
Hi Chris

Absolutely. I would say that the Dhamma points to a greater ease and freedom within the individual and gives the practitioner the wisdom necessary to deal with the turbulence of life in samsara.
Alternatively, there is a passage in Bhikkhu Bodhi's 'A comprehensive manual of the Abhidhamma' where he describes the 31 planes of existence and how they correspond to citta. It prompts the question how the development of jhana and vipassana conditions the external world we experience.
The compendium of process-freed consciousness opens with a survey of the topograpgy of the phenomenal world, charting the planes of existence and the various realms within each plane. The author (Acariya Anuruddha) undertakes this survey before examining the types of process-freed consciousness because the external universe, according to the Abhidhamma, is an outer reflection of the internal cosmos of mind, registering in concrete manifest form the subtle gradations in states of consciousness. This does not mean that the Abhidhamma reduces the outer world to a dimension of mind in the manner of philosophical idealism. The outer world is quite real and possesses objective existence. However, the outer world is always a world apprehended by consciousness, and the type of consciousness determines the nature of the world that appears. Consciousness and the world are mutually dependent and inextricably connected to such an extent that the hierarchical structure of the realms of existence exactly reproduces and corresponds to the hierarchical structure of consciousness.

-- Vithimuttasangaha, Bhikkhu Bodhi, 2000, Abhidhammatthasangaha: A comprehensive manual of Abhidhamma, Pariyatti
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

The compendium of process-freed consciousness opens with a survey of the topograpgy of the phenomenal world, charting the planes of existence and the various realms within each plane. The author (Acariya Anuruddha) undertakes this survey before examining the types of process-freed consciousness because the external universe, according to the Abhidhamma, is an outer reflection of the internal cosmos of mind, registering in concrete manifest form the subtle gradations in states of consciousness. This does not mean that the Abhidhamma reduces the outer world to a dimension of mind in the manner of philosophical idealism. The outer world is quite real and possesses objective existence. However, the outer world is always a world apprehended by consciousness, and the type of consciousness determines the nature of the world that appears. Consciousness and the world are mutually dependent and inextricably connected to such an extent that the hierarchical structure of the realms of existence exactly reproduces and corresponds to the hierarchical structure of consciousness.
I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of the above...way over my head...and the thought of seeing/comprehending thirty one planes of existence equally as daunting...my plate seems to be overloaded on this plane alone... :geek: oh well, in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Thank you all for your insightful quotes, verses and responses. Indeed, Venerable...
in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...
Peace
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear Venerable,
appicchato wrote: I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of the above...way over my head...and the thought of seeing/comprehending thirty one planes of existence equally as daunting...my plate seems to be overloaded on this plane alone... :geek: oh well, in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...
I try. I consider myself just a beginner on the path.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
stuka

Post by stuka »

appicchato wrote:
I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of the above...way over my head...and the thought of seeing/comprehending thirty one planes of existence equally as daunting...my plate seems to be overloaded on this plane alone... :geek: oh well, in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...

I have my doubts about anyone who claims they "make heads or tails" about monkey-chatter for the sake of holding up a long-dead speculative view. Much more relevant to work on the cessation of suffering in the here-and-now.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The world within us arises & falls, so naturally the world around us does the same. The Greek saw four ages of Gold, Silver, Bronze & Iron which humanity goes thru over and over the eons. India has its four yugas with similar devolution & evolution cycles.

Nowadays our technical media permits us to know far more about the "outer" world which probably deadens our inner self control & Dhamma discipline.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.