Samatha vs. Vipassana, am I thinking of this correctly?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Kenshou

Samatha vs. Vipassana, am I thinking of this correctly?

Post by Kenshou »

Hello there, first time poster, long time lurker.

I don't intend to start a thread about the benefit of one of these sorts of meditation as opposed to the other, I think that sort of thing gets discussed plenty anyway, but I what I am wondering is if my personal impression of them as I now understand it is correct. I've read over the materials commonly posted here and a variety of others, and I'd appreciate a little feedback if my subjective understanding is up to par or not.

So my general understanding, in short, is that Samatha, meditation with the aim of tranquility or practice of the Jhanas, requires you to concentrate the mind on a single object of meditation (the breath, ect) for the purpose of absorption in it, and thereby the temporary release of the mind from the senses and extraneous thought, during which deeper states of absorption are possible. At a certain point when there is deep absorption into the initial object of meditation accompanied by a pleasant sensation of peacefulness (and the Nimmitta), the attention from the object of meditation is dropped, and all that remains is the absorption in that bliss, at which point you have the 1st Jhana. Of course there would be more beyond that, but as a beginner I'm only worried with the first steps at this point. To summarize the practice even further, it is simply letting go, letting go of more and more and going into further and more subtle states of absorption.

Then Vipassana, or insight meditation, also tends to begin with the concentration on a single object (often again the breath, as nearly always) and a restriction of unnecessary thought, balanced with an unbiased and unreacting mindful awareness which stays open to whatever facet of experience happens to come into focus at a given moment so that the meditator can clearly watch the the process of whatever the phenomenon in question is, for the purpose of (eventually) seeing the fact of Dukkha, Anicca and Anatta in all processes of existence. When nothing in particular arises into focus the concentration is redirected onto the breath, and during the whole process mindfulness is maintained so that all experiences can be clearly observed as they arise.

So, do I have the gist of these practices correctly understood? For the last month or so I have been trying to take some initial steps into meditation, starting with Samatha practice, since the general consensus seems to be that it is the relative easier of the two to develop without the aid of an actual teacher (though of course I understand that a teacher is better in all cases) and that the concentration developed in Samatha will also be useful when and if I was to begin Vipassana. I plan to get some human instruction and attend a retreat when possible, but for the moment I want to learn what I can with what resources are available, and so the input of you guys would be appreciated.
mikenz66

Re: Samatha vs. Vipassana, am I thinking of this correctly?

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Kenshou,

That sounds like a reasonable summary though, of course, any summary could be expanded indefinitely...

If you want to pursue a Samatha approach then I think that Ajahn Brahm's book, Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond is useful. You can download the initial instruction sections here:
http://www.bswa.org/zencart/index.php?m ... cts_id=187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and guided meditation here:
http://www.bswa.org/audio/podcast/Guide ... ns.rss.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that Shaila Catherine's book "Focussed and Fealess" is also very good: http://imsb.org/teachings/ff/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and gives a broader perspective.

Metta
Mike
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Thanks for the reply and links, Mickenz, my first post was more of a wall of text that I had thought.

As a matter of fact, stumbling onto Ajahn Brahm's talks on youtube was one of the things that first happened to lead me into Buddhism, and I'm a big fan of him in general. I plan to buy his book, and that big list of podcasts will be useful for me.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

mikenz66 wrote: If you want to pursue a Samatha approach then I think that Ajahn Brahm's book, Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond is useful.
Its worth noting though, what Ajahn Brahm says in this book:
The Great Vipassanā versus Samatha Debate

Some traditions speak of two types of meditation, insight meditation (vipassanā) and calm meditation (samatha). In fact the two are indivisible facets of the same process. Calm is the peaceful happiness born of meditation; insight is the clear understanding born of the same meditation.Calm leads to insight and insight leads to calm

For those who are misled to concieve of all the instructions offered here as "just samatha practice" (calming) without regard to vipassanā (insight), please know that this is neither vipassanā nor samatha. It is called bhāvanā (mental development). This method was taught by the Buddha (AN IV, 125 - 27; MN 151, 13 - 19) and repeated in the forest tradition of Northeast Thailand, with which my teacher, Ven.Ajahn Chah, was associated. Ajahn Chah often said that samatha and vipassanā cannot be seperated, nor can the pair be developed apart from right view, right thought, right moral conduct, and so forth. Samatha and vipassanā, Ajahn Chah said, are like two sides of one hand...
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Laurens,

Of course, its all a matter of stress. Perhaps I should say that Ajahn Brahm teaches an approach that puts a lot of stress on the samatha aspect in the initial stages than many other teachers. Other Ajahn Chah students, such as Ajahn Tiradhammo, put a lot less stress on attaining deep levels of concentration.

Different approaches are useful to different people at different times... In most cases apparent disagreements between teachers are just a matter of what they put stress on.

Metta
Mike
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Laurens,

Of course, its all a matter of stress. Perhaps I should say that Ajahn Brahm teaches an approach that puts a lot of stress on the samatha aspect in the initial stages than many other teachers. Other Ajahn Chah students, such as Ajahn Tiradhammo, put a lot less stress on attaining deep levels of concentration.

Different approaches are useful to different people at different times... In most cases apparent disagreements between teachers are just a matter of what they put stress on.

Metta
Mike
Agreed, I was just posting that passage so that the OP can see that if one practices one, they aren't missing out on the other. Which some people may be lead to believe by certain teachers.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Mhm, I've come across that particular passage in Brahm's book, and I do understand (if only superficially) that the two practices are part of the same whole of mental development. I've come to the conclusion through messing around with both that at this point, sitting down and trying to meditate through dry Vipassana isn't so productive for me, observing the mundane occurrences of sitting calmly are too easy to get distracted from at this point. Not that there isn't insight to be found of course, but my concentration and wisdom aren't deep enough to probe all that right off the bat.

At this point in time, I've found that what seems to be most productive is to use my opportunities of quiet sitting to develop my concentration through a stress on Samatha, which doubles as being generally refreshing. And with the concentration developed while sitting, it is easier to apply the mindfulness of Vipassana to the grosser experience of everyday living where the real troubles in life show themselves. The goal being that -eventually- my abilities of mindfulness and concentration will be developed enough so that I can dive directly into Vipassana. Of course I realize that this is a long process of development.

But yeah, neither excludes the other, but 'seems to me my monkey-mind could use a little tranquility practice to aid in the work if insight, 'least right now.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Kenshou,

You sound like you are on the right track. Most "vipassana" meditation does involve building up some concentration on some object. As you say, it's hard to do anything without doing that. Personally, I mostly do Mahasi-style meditation, using the sensations/motion of the feet when walking or the abdomen when sitting as the "primary" object. If I want to do more of a concentration practise I use the breath at the nostrils or metta, and, as you say, return to the object if I get distracted, rather than investigating the distraction.

Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi,
sounds like a fair summary! thanissaro points out suttas in his book wings to awakening which 'merge' the two more than others (for lack of better way to describe it) but it is worth pointing out that the three fold training of the Eight Fold Path has right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration in the same training of Samadhi.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

I'm pretty much convinced that there is no such thing as vipassana/insight meditation. Nor is there such a thing as samatha/tranquility meditation. Insight and tranquility are _results_ of buddhist meditation, not _types_ of buddhist meditation. I think the question itself is inherently flawed.

Focus instead on the things the Buddha actually taught: sati and samadhi (steps 7 and 8 of the 8FP). Meditate mindfully with concentration.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ajahn Chah

Q:You have said that samatha and vipassana or concentration and insight are the same. Could you explain this further?

Answer: It is quite simple. Concentration (samatha)and wisdom (vipassana)work together. First the mind becomes still by holding on to a meditation object. It is quiet only while you are sitting with your eyes closed. This is samatha and eventually this samadhi-base is the cause for wisdom or vipassana to arise. Then the mind is still whether you sit with your eyes closed or walk around in a busy city. It's like this. Once you were a child. Now you are an adult. Are the child and the adult the same person? You can say that they are, or looking at it another way, you can say that they are different. In this way samatha and vipassana could also be looked at as separate. Or it is like food and feces. Food and feces could be called the same and they can be called different. Don't just believe what I say, do your practice and see for yourself. Nothing special is needed.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

-seanpdx

Well, the meditations are named after what results they are aiming for, no?

But yes, as quoted Ajahn Chah there and as a few have said in this thread and others, the two aren't really separate. Just so many words describing different aspects for the benefit of people trying to learn about it, but all part of the same path of mental development. In my own practice I've come to understand that fact.

So, may we all have fruitful meditation! -smileyface-
seanpdx

Post by seanpdx »

Kenshou wrote:-seanpdx

Well, the meditations are named after what results they are aiming for, no?
No.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

do you care to explain?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sean,

From my understanding what we've been discussing in this thread and some other threads, e.g. http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2986, is useful in so far as it helps us to understand and put into practise the instructions of various teachers, the classical commentaries, and the Buddha himself. Personally, I wouldn't have got very far with meditation just using the Suttas. With some skills that I've gained from my teachers I now have some idea of what the Buddha was referring to.

Kenshou's original question was about clarifying the understanding of which approaches will give more emphasis to samatha, and which to vipassana. This is useful to know about, since it allows one to "tune" one's practise somewhat depending on the circumstances. It's also useful to have some clue about how to recognise the hindrances (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el026.html), and how to balance the faculties http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html, and use them to overcome the hindrances.

I believe that it is also useful to understand the various approaches to the development of samatha and vipassana, briefly pointed to in these Suttas: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html, and of course expanded greatly in the classical commentaries and "modern" teachings.

Metta
Mike