The goal of the Theravadin Resource Guide is to produce an easy reference directory of Theravadin and Early Buddhism resources on the internet. Where there is practical application to the Theravadin practitioner, Mahayana based links will be included. It is the compiler's hopes that this resource will include many contributions by other members of the site and thus any bias on my part will be minimized, however it is inevitable that some bias towards resources will remain, and for that I apologise.
Please let me know if any links are dead, or have moved. Also if you feel there is a website that should be added to the Resource Guide, please just let me know here in this thread or via pm.
Dhamma search engine
- Google Saffron - Theravada search engine, searching Dhamma pages across the web for the information you need.
Tipitaka and Discourse
- Access to Insight - Large collection of English translations of Suttas, and many essays from esteemed Buddhist writers.
- Metta net - Includes a work in progress translation of the Tipitaka, articles by Buddhist writers and information on Sri Lankan Buddhism.
- Wikipitaka - A wiki based work in progress translation of the Tipitaka, currently over 700 suttas have been translated.
- Tipitaka.org - Online Burmese Tipitaka in Pali, various scripts, includes a very thorough exposition on "the gist" of the Tipitaka.
- eTipitaka quotation - Well organised online Pali tipitaka of the 6th Buddhist council
- Pali Text Society Translations downloads - Large parts of the Tipitaka available online, PTS translations
- Buddha Vacana - Quite a number of suttas available translated from the pali, also resources for learning pali.
- Pali Canon.org - Another good translation project. Contains many suttas from the Canon translated by Ariya Zhong, Chris Burke & Alonso Martinez.
- Buddhanet - Buddhist information network, contains an e-library, info on meditation audio, magazine, and directory of Buddhist centres
- Aimwell - The Association for Insight Meditation website is run by Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala, and contains all his own works free for reproduction, translations and expositions of several important suttas, as well as a variety of works by esteemed Mahasi lineage teachers.
- Beyond the Net - Beyond the net is another great site for resources, it has a lot of audio, e books, and teachings by various Sri Lankan monks, as well as some stuff by Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi. Highly recommended
- Nibbana.com - Burmese Buddhist mega site (in english, of course) contains a hefty lot of Dhamma related materials
- Bhavana Society - Bhavana Society website, the home of Bhante G(unaratana). Many resources available here, including information on how to get to the centre, ordination, audio, ebooks - Including his well known title 'Mindfulness in Plain English', all sorts of good stuff!
- Sadhu Dhamma directory - Sadhu Dhamma directory is a Dhamma directory run and maintained by Dhammawheel member Dmytro, he has worked hard to make the list very inclusive, and it has many good links that are not yet available here, so it is well worth checking out.
- The Nibbana Sermons - Venerable Nyanananda's revolutionary Nibbana Sermons have struck a chord with Theravadin practitioners across the globe, receiving praise at large - especially here at Dhamma Wheel.
- Nanavira Thera's Notes on Dhamma - A heterodox, existential approach to the Dhamma, often terse and difficult language, not recommended for beginners, but certainly an interesting and rewarding read for those who are intrigued by different approaches to the Buddha's teachings. Discusses a different approach to dependent origination that does not involve the 3 life formulation.
- Ian Andrew's recommendations and reading list - Dhamma Wheel member IanAnd gives us an important list of doctrinal points and Dhamma books to further one's understanding.
- Michael Kewley's Dhamma site - Dhamma-site of teacher Michael Kewley, includes audio, video and a good bio
- What-Buddha-Taught - Extensive collection of e books from contemporary meditation masters and Dhamma teachers
- BuddhaSasana - Hidden in the recesses of Buddhanet is this hefty collection of articles and e-books on Dhamma and meditation, well deserved of it's own description.
- Buddhist Publication Society - Well known and highly regarded, the Buddhist Publication Society founded in 1958 has been a bastion of light in producing Buddhist texts for the world at large, the website has a broad library of online reading material available including much of their 'The Wheel' and 'Bodhi leaves' Buddhist Journals.
- Forest Dhamma books - E-library of the writings of Luang Por Maha Boowa
- Santipada - A collection of Bhante Sujato's books available for download in epub/pdf or order of paperback.
- Holybooks - Buddhism -Holybooks is an ebook repository and has a decent Buddhism section.
- Dharma Seed - Dharma seed has been around since the 1980's providing talks by way of tapes and cds, with the advent of the internet they have brought a vast amount of Dhamma talks online, specializing in Vipassana.
- Dhammatalks.org.uk - A large collection of talks given by various teachers within the Thai Forest tradition in the Ajahn Chah lineage
- Buddhist Society of Western Australia - The BSWA has an abundant supply of Dhammatalks given by Ajahn Brahmavamso and fellow monks and nuns residing at Bodhinyana and Dhammasara forest monasteries
- Audiodharma - Talks given by Gil Fronsdal, and guest speakers at the Insight meditation centre in Redwood City, California
- Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu @ dhammatalks.org - A website dedicated to talks given by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu, also includes books and essays
- Birken collection - Birken Forest Monastery are maintaining a collection of over 3000 Dhamma talks (over 45gb) available for download at their website
- Dhammaweb - Site featuring talks from the Burmese and Thai traditions, many in Burmese, but also many in English, good source of some hard to find talks.
- Bhavana Society - Talks given by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana (of Mindfulness in plain English renown)
- Aruno - Talks given by Ajahn Munindo, Ajahn Abhinando and Ajahn Puñño from Aruna Ratanagiri
- Introduction to Buddhism - Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi delivers 10 lectures as an introduction to Buddhism
- Majjhima Nikaya lectures - Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi delivers lectures on the Majjhima Nikaya (the middle length discourses) of the Pali Canon.
- Ayya Khema Dhamma talks - Talks by the wonderful Ayya Khema. She is a brilliant orator, and her talks are available on the website for download, including a torrent for the entire 7.6 gigs of the site.
- Bhavana Society's Dhamma talks - Talks given at the Bhavana Society. Many talks by Bhante Gunaratana of 'Mindfulness in plain english' fame.
- Dhammatube - Dhammatube has an wide range of Dhamma-video available for viewing on Youtube, Google video and Veoh.
- Dhammaweb video database - In a similar refrain to their audio section, Dhammaweb bring a collection of Dhamma videos from various speakers.
- BBC: The Life of the Buddha - An inspiring documentary on the early life of the Buddha by the BBC.
Important Dhamma-wheel topics
- Dhamma Wheel terms of service - Important and succinct rules for the forum.
- Introductory Resources - Resources the community have deemed great 'starting' points for learning about Buddhism.
- Recommended reading (meditation) - A comprehensive list of books that will provide the reader with an understanding on how to meditate effectively.
- Abhidhamma Resources - Resources for learning about the Abhidhamma - The 'higher' doctrine in Theravada Buddhism.
- Good resources in non-english languages - Title says it all, if you speak anything other than English then this thread's for you.
- Ordination in Thailand - Thread for all resources pertaining to ordination in Thailand, visas, monasteries, teachers, considerations etc.
- Dana - Suggested places to make donations - Websites of charities and NGOs to make donations to.
- Dhammawheel Meditation Challenge - Set you meditation goals and share your results, support etc.
- What book are you reading right now? - A thread for discussing what book you're reading, whether or not you like it and why.
- Daily Dhamma drops from Ceylon - Venerable Bhikkhu Samahita's daily teachings on the Dhamma.
- The great rebirth debate - Thread for discussing your views on the Buddhist concept of rebirth.
- The great Abhidhamma authenticity debate - A thread for discussing your views on the Abhidhamma and whether or not you believe it to be authentic Buddhavacana.
- Pali Terms - A solid list of pali terms, with definitions available through hyperlink
- Dhamma Wheel Memorization Challenge - A thread for those who are in the process of memorizing passages from the Suttas.
- Lectures by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi - Lectures centred around the Venerable's anthology 'In the Buddha's words.
- The Great Jhana Debate - A thread for discussing your views on Jhana and the specifics of what defines it.
Dhamma encyclopedias and wikipedia pages of note
- Dhamma Wiki - Theravada Buddhist encyclopedia with over 10,000 articles and links.
- Buddhism A to Z - A Buddhist encyclopedia with over 500 entries by Ven. Dhammika, focusing on the Pali Canon and early teachings of Buddhism.
- Wikipedia entry for Theravada Buddhism - Self explanatory, far from comprehensive and in need of some TLC
- Wikipedia entry for Outline of Buddhism - Comprehensive list of Buddhist concepts
- Theravadin - Blog by an anonymous practitioner, a lot of good stuff crops up here
- Sujato's Blog - Venerable Sujato's blog, posts on reform of Theravada and Bhikkhuni ordination
- Bhikkhu's blog - Blog by Ajahn Punnadhammo, covers a wide range of issues
- Path press blog - Blog of the Path Press, includes the writings of Ven. Nanavira Thera, Ven. Bodhisako and Sister Vajira.
- Dhamma Musings - Blog of Ven. Shravasti Dhammika, a long standing and well known monk, he is an author of serveral books on Buddhism.
- Genkaku again - Adam Genkaku Fisher's blog, Dhammawheel member and Zen practitioner since ages ago.
- Jayarava's Raves - Jayarava is a member of the Triratna Buddhist order (formerly FWBO) he has knowledge of pali, and a very strong interest in Dhamma, especially with how it fits into our modern world.
- Access to Insight iPhone ap - An iPhone app for the Access to Insight website