Who Moved My Cheese?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Who Moved My Cheese?

Postby withoutcolour » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:10 am

My father's birthday is coming up, and he's one of these guys who is really into the motivational style books, like Who Moved My Cheese? and Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and all of that Anthony Robbins business... so my question is... would there be a good book for me to give to him that incorporates both these "motivational" things and is also Buddhist in nature? I want to sort of introduce him to my lifestyle in a medium he's accustomed to, that he can relate to.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Metta.
-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
withoutcolour

Re: Who Moved My Cheese?

Postby IanAnd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 am

I don't know, withoutcolor. That all depends on what you consider motivational and is also Buddhist in nature. In Buddhism the motivation usually comes from within the person.

Although I don't particularly care for his teaching style (a bit too syrupy for me), you might want to look into Thich Nhat Hanh's Being Peace.

Or Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

These aren't oriented to Theravadin practice necessarily, but I'm not sure, other than a book like the Dhammapada, what to suggest. Most good Theravadin books tend to be dry and practice oriented, which is what I meant by "the motivation usually comes from within the person" quote above.

Otherwise, an author like the psychologist Paul Fleischman in his book Cultivating Inner Peace might suffice.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
IanAnd

Postby Kare » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:17 am

Try one of Mirko Fryba's books, either "The Art of Happiness" or "The Practice of Happiness". They are seemingly written in a traditionasl "Self Help" style (some people like this style, others don't), but they go deep into the real Dhamma and real practice in a very practical way. The author has been a psychotherapist and also a theravada monk.

You can find more details about his books here:

http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Happines ... gy_b_img_b
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:05 pm

The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation as Taught by S. N. Goenka is written in a very non-sectarian, non-religious tone. Goenka is known for calling his technique not religious and not even Buddhist.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Living-Vipass ... 0060637242
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby withoutcolour » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:04 am

David N. Snyder wrote:The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation as Taught by S. N. Goenka is written in a very non-sectarian, non-religious tone. Goenka is known for calling his technique not religious and not even Buddhist.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Living-Vipass ... 0060637242

This is PERFECT. I read through the summary and reviews, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm so glad to share this with my father. He's such a practical business type dude who loves self-help stuff, so this up his alley. I think meditation is something that anyone can appreciate... and I think he can benefit from this... he's taking the recession pretty hard, kinda drinking more than he used to, and his doctor gave him depression pills even though he despises pills used for that sort of thing... I think this is the perfect time in his life for some meditation and deep insight.
I hope he isn't like "Oh gee, I must be really effed up if my daughter is giving me meditation crap" or "Oh my god, religious materials, please get away from me my crazy Jehovah's-witness Hare-Krishna Kool-Aid Cult daughter"... heh

Anyway, thanks. :) :buddha1:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
withoutcolour

Return to Open Dhamma