Axe Attack

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
acinteyyo

Axe Attack

Post by acinteyyo »

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Laurens

Re: Axe Attack

Post by Laurens »

Thanks for sharing that, a very inspiring story. It is amazing how situations can be dealt with simply by being calm. A lesson that I need to consider on occaison.

On a side note, I'm just curious, I am not sure whether it is the light in the video or what, but I don't think I've ever seen a monk wearing robes of that colour before.

Best wishes
Laurens
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Karunika

Post by Karunika »

This venerable has many youtube videos and he is always wearing what appears to be a black robe.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Karunika wrote:This venerable has many youtube videos and he is always wearing what appears to be a black robe.
Any significance in this?
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
poto

Post by poto »

I thought it was a dark brown robe, which are worn by some forest monks.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I watched that vid ages ago, I have to admit, he is one of my favourite speakers on Dhammatube!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill